Cash bursaries funded through donations from alumni and friends of the University are available for eligible UK fee paying students living in either areas of low participation in Higher Education, areas of socio-economic deprivation, or who are entitled to Free School Meals. Scholarship award-holders will receive £3,000 per year for three years (excluding a placement year) and the support will be paid directly into your bank account in three equal installments per year.
The application deadline has been extended until 15 July 2022 (11pm). Please check your eligibility before applying.
Students who meet the criteria below are eligible to apply.
Please note: Not all students who apply will be awarded a scholarship. With a limited number of Opportunity Scholarships available, applications are assessed and awarded to the students identified as ‘in the most need’ and will benefit the greatest from the additional financial support.
1. Be assessed by Loughborough University as a UK fee paying student for tuition fee purposes
2. Be permanently resident in England in an area of low participation in higher education (POLAR4 Quintile 1).
Be permanently resident in England in an area of socio-economic deprivation (IMD Decile 1-2).
You were known to be eligible for free school meals (FSM) at the end of Key Stage 4 (Year 11) and/or at some point in the six years prior to this point OR you are currently in receipt of free school meals.
3. Have verifiable declared household income of under £40,000 per year
4. Be in receipt of an offer for undergraduate study from Loughborough University by 30th June 2022.
5. Select Loughborough as your firm choice university (Conditional Firm or Unconditional Firm).
6. Complete an application for the Opportunity Scholarship by 15 July 2022 (NB: applicants identified as eligible to apply will receive an invitation email containing a link to the online application form).
7. Achieve grades of ABB or above in A levels or equivalent qualification.
8. Commence the first year of a full-time undergraduate degree course at Loughborough University at the start of academic year 2022-23.
Please note that to be eligible for the current round of Opportunity Scholarships, you must be starting the first year of an undergraduate programme in the 2022/23 academic year. If after applying for a scholarship you choose to defer to 2023/24 entry, you will no longer be considered for this year’s scheme. However, if you still meet all of the other criteria, you will be invited to re-apply with a new application the following year.
Please note the Opportunity Scholarship scheme is not open to applications from current students of the University.
Submitted applications will be reviewed and scored by a panel after the deadline. Scholarships will be awarded once the University has received examination results, verified declared household income and confirmed which students have successfully secured a place to study at Loughborough. The highest scoring applicants who meet all of the above eligibility criteria (including the achievement of at least ABB at A level or equivalent) will be considered for a scholarship. This is a competitive process with many applicants so we encourage you to complete the application form carefully and to the best of your ability.
Check your postcode
When using the OfS POLAR4 lookup tool, enter your postcode without spaces and select the MSOA geographic boundary. Your POLAR4 quintile is displayed in the first line of the table on the right of the map.
To find your IMD Decile, enter your postcode in the lookup tool and click ‘get deprivation data’. The data for your postcode will be available as an xlsx or csv file. To open in Excel, download the xlsx file. Column F of the spreadsheet indicates your Index of Multiple Deprivation Decile.
Timeline for Opportunity Scholarships
|February||Eligible applicants invited to apply for a Scholarship|
|15 July||Deadline for Scholarship applications|
|August||Panel review applications and agree Scholarship recipients|
|September||Successful scholars notified|