Cash bursaries funded through donations from alumni and friends of the University for UK students from areas of low HE participation. Scholarship award-holders will receive £3,000 per year for three years (excluding the placement year) and the support will be paid directly into your bank account in three equal instalments per year.
Students who meet the following criteria will be eligible for consideration:
- Be a UK national and assessed as paying UK tuition fees
- Be permanently resident in the UK in an area under-represented in Higher Education (POLAR4 quintile 1) according to Government approved measures – OR be permanently resident in the UK in an area of socio-economic deprivation (English Indices of Multiple Deprivation – IMD Decile 1-4) AND in an area of low participation to Higher Education (POLAR4 Quintile 2). You can check which quintile/decile your postcode falls within using the POLAR4 lookup tool, and the IMD postcode lookup. See below for guidance on these tools.
- Be in receipt of an offer for undergraduate study from Loughborough University by 30th June 2021
- Select Loughborough University as your firm choice institution (Conditional Firm or Unconditional Firm)
- Complete an application for the Opportunity Scholarship by 30th June 2021 – applicants identified as eligible will receive an invitation email containing a link to the online form
- Achieve at least ABB in A levels or equivalent
- Commence the first year of a full-time undergraduate degree course at Loughborough University at the start of academic year 2021-22
Please note that to be eligible for the current round of Opportunity Scholarships, you must be starting the first year of an undergraduate programme in the 2021/22 academic year. If after applying for a scholarship you choose to defer to 2022 entry, you will no longer be considered for the 2021/22 scheme. However, should you still meet all of the other criteria, you will be eligible for the Opportunities Scholarships available in 2022/23, and consequently you will be invited to re-apply the following year.
Please note the Opportunity Scholarship is open only to applications from those who are not yet students of the University.
Submitted applications will be reviewed and scored by a panel after the deadline. Scholarships will be awarded once the University has received examination results, verified declared household income and confirmed which students have successfully secured a place to study at Loughborough. The highest scoring applicants who meet all of the above eligibility criteria (including the achievement of at least ABB at A level or equivalent) will be awarded a scholarship. This is a competitive process with many applicants; we encourage you to complete the application form carefully.
Check your postcode
When using the OfS POLAR4 lookup tool, enter your postcode without spaces and select the MSOA geographic boundary. Your POLAR4 quintile is displayed in the first line of the table on the right of the map.
To find your IMD Decile, enter your postcode in the lookup tool and click ‘get deprivation data’. The data for your postcode will be available as an xlsx or csv file. To open in Excel, download the xlsx file. Column F of the spreadsheet indicates your Index of Multiple Deprivation Decile.
Timeline for Opportunity Scholarships
|February||Eligible applicants invited to apply for a Scholarship|
|30 June||Deadline for Scholarship applications|
|August||Panel review applications and agree Scholarship recipients|
|September||Successful scholars notified|