Research activities are central to the work of the Economics group.
The group hosts a programme of research seminars which run throughout the year and feature both internal and external speakers.
External grants for projects (since 2012)
The Economics group has a record of successfully attracting external grants for research projects. Below are some examples of current and recent research grants:
- Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology. Project: 'The role of public spending components on political business cycles and fiscal consolidations', Vitor Castro.
- Royal Economics Society (Special Projects Scheme). Conference: Network of Industrial Economists, Anna Bennato, Luke Garrod, Monica Giulietti and Chris Wilson.
- The Health Foundation. Project:'Life course impacts of health on social and economic outcomes and transitions', Simona Rasciute.
- Royal Economic Society. Conference: 'Modelling Macroeconomic and Financial Time Series', Justine Wood and Eric Pentecost.
- ESRC and UKRI. Project: 'Technology Driven Next Generation Insurance (TECHNGI)', Alistair Milne and Tzameret Rubin.
- ESRC and UKRI. Project: 'The Evolution of AI Industries', Alistair Milne and Tzameret Rubin.
- ESRC. Project: Funding for Joint PhD Studentship on Tax Competition for FDI, Ben Ferrett.
- International Growth Centre (IGC). Project: 'Regional Analysis of Inflation Dynamics in Ghana: Persistence, Causes and Policy Implications', Simeon Coleman.
- EPSRC/UKERC. Project: 'Flexinet: Integrated analysis of flexible low-carbon heat pathways with diurnal and seasonal storage', Monica Giulietti.
- EPSRC. Project: 'Energy Transactions for Non-Traditional Services', Monica Giulietti.
- EPSRC. Project: 'Supergen Energy Storage, Consortium for Modelling and Analysis of Decentralised energy storage', Monica Giulietti.
- Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University. Project: 'Personalities, career characteristics, and the historical development of Japanese monetary policy', Chris Spencer.
- European Commission DG COMP. Project: 'The Microeconomic Impact of Enforcement of Competition Policies on Innovation', Anna Bennato.
Members of the Economics group conduct collaborative research with external partners from both the UK and a wide range of other countries.
Our research collaborators within the UK are from institutions including:
- University of Cambridge
- University of Warwick
- Competition and Markets Authority (CMA)
- Birmingham University
- University of East Anglia (UEA)
- Newcastle University
- De Montfort University
- Brunel University
- University of Sheffield
- Aston University
- University of Strathclyde
Our international collaborators are from institutions including:
- USA: NYU Stern School of Business, Michigan State University, Drexel University, University of Houston-Downtown, University of North Carolina, Ohio University, Binghamton University
- China: Renmin University, Nanjing University of Finance and Economics, Chengdu University of Technology, Shandong University
- Australia: Curtin University, Monash University, Queensland University, La Trobe University
- Japan: Hitotsubashi University, Kindai University, National Graduate Institute for Policy Studies (Tokyo)
- Germany: ifo Institute, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, Technical University Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research (DIW Berlin)
- France and Spain: Toulouse School of Economics, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Jaume I University, University of Barcelona, Universidad Pública de Navarra
- Portugal: University of Minho, University of Coimbra, University of Lisbon
- Italy: University of Palermo, Università del Piemonte Orientale, University of Padua, University of Verona, University of Bari, University of Siena, IMT High Studies School Lucca
- University of Witwatersrand, South Africa; American University of Sharjah, Dubai; University of Malta; Lund University, Sweden; University of Innsbruck, Austria; Singapore Institute of Technology
Conferences and events organised
Examples of recent research events organised by members of the Economics group:
- Network of Industrial Economists. Conference and PhD Symposium at Loughborough University (2017): Luke Garrod, Chris Wilson, Monica Giulietti and Anna Bennato.
- Global Political Economy Network. Conference at Loughborough University London (2018): Huw Edwards.
- 'Behavioural and Decision Sciences'. Conference at Loughborough University (2019): Enrique Fatas and Anna Bennato.
- 'Modelling Macroeconomic and Financial Time Series'. Conference at Loughborough University (2014): Justine Wood and Eric Pentecost.
- 'Macroeconomic Policies in Post-crisis Emerging and Developing Countries'. Annual Conference at Loughborough University: Simeon Coleman.
- 'Water Industry Performance and Cost Assessment'. Workshop at Loughborough University (2018): David Saal and Maria Nieswand.
- 'Tax Competition between National Governments for Footloose Multinationals: Perspectives from Economics'. Workshop at Loughborough University (2017): Ben Ferrett.
Visiting positions and external roles
- Visiting Scholar, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge, Vitor Castro.
- Council Member, Scottish Economic Society, Justine Wood.
- Visiting Research Fellow, University of Pennsylvania, Anna Bennato.
- Visiting Associate Professor, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo, Chris Spencer.
- Shimomura Fellow, Development Bank of Japan, Chris Spencer.
- External Research Fellow, Nottingham Centre for Research on Globalisation and Economic Policy, University of Nottingham, Ben Ferrett.
- Visiting Academic, University of Malta, Ben Ferrett.
- Academic Assessor for VQR (Italy’s REF), Alessandra Ferrari.
- Academic Consultant, Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), Alessandra Ferrari.
- Academic Consultants, Anglian Water, David Saal, Maria Nieswand and Alessandra Ferrari.
- Member of Research Committee, Energy Research Accelerator, Monica Giulietti.
- Member of Research Committee, UK Energy Research Centre, Monica Giulietti.
- Member of Advisory Board, European Energy Regulator’s Training Academy, Monica Giulietti.
- Member of Management Committee, Network of Industrial Economists, Monica Giulietti.
- Academic Consultant, 'Breast Cancer Now' charity, Alessandra Ferrari.
- Academic Consultant, Welsh Water, Alessandra Ferrari.
- Member of Teaching Committee for Doctoral Programme in Economics, DEFAP-Bicocca, Italy, Monica Giulietti.
- Subject Matter Expert, McGraw Hill, Justine Wood.
- External Examining: Imperial College Business School (Monica Giulietti), Cambridge Judge School (Monica Giulietti), University of Strathclyde (Ben Ferrett), University of Surrey (Chris Spencer), Nottingham Trent University (Justine Wood), Aston Business School (Justine Wood).
- Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, Monica Giulietti (Editor-in-Chief).
- Journal of Banking Regulation, Alessandra Ferrari.
- Journal of Industrial and Business Economics, Alessandra Ferrari.
- Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance, Alessandra Ferrari.
- The World Economy, Huw Edwards (Guest Editor).
- Economic Issues, Simeon Coleman.
- African Review of Economics and Finance, Simeon Coleman.