The University Mental Health Support Team, Counselling Service and Library have introduced a range of self-help books available for students and staff. Further details about obtaining these for free are available below.
The Library and Mental Health Support Team are pleased to announce the "Reading Well" Books on Prescription titles can now be accessed from the University Library. The scheme provides self-help reading based on cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for adults for a range of common mental health conditions including anxiety and depression.
Reference copies of all the books in the scheme are located in the Leisure Reading Collection on Level 4 of the University Library. Loanable copies are available from the Loughborough Public Library on Granby Street.
Alongside the Books on Prescription titles sit the aptly-named Mood-boosting books, an intriguing range of uplifting novels, non-fiction and poetry. The Mood-boosting titles have all been recommended nationally by readers and reading groups.
For further information about these schemes, please visit the Reading Agency website
There are a range of titles relating to mental health and wellbeing available for loan via the library which are organised into groups (using a tagging system) as well as the usual classification system. Topics include:
- Mind, Body and Spirit
- Approaches to Mental Health
- Lifestyle and Mental Health
- Understanding Mental Health
- Relaxation and Stress Management
- Personal growth and Transitions
- Gender, Sexuality and Relationships
- Study Skills
- Bereavement, loss and dying
- Suicide and self-njury
To find self-help books available in the University library, you can search using the usual classification system or using a tagging system as follow
- Go to the main library webpage
- Scroll down to the Library Catalogue Plus orange box (on the right-hand side) and login
- Across the top menu select "Tags"
- In the search box, search for a topic you may be interested in. Some examples of tags you can search for include the topics listed above.
Self-help guides to specific mental health issues have been produced by Northumberland, Tyne & Wear NHS Foundation Trust. Titles cover a range of mental health issues and can be downloaded in a booklet, video or audio file. Please take the link here.