Sending us your documents

If you have a conditional offer to study with us, we may ask you to provide evidence of your exam results or other documents.

See our Key deadlines page for full details of when we need to receive your documents.

As soon as you have received your final results or other documents (such as references or English language proficiency), please let us know as we cannot confirm your place without these documents. If you are providing exam results, we will require your transcript and your degree certificate (or your provisional certificate or award letter). These documents must be certified and be in both their original language and translated into English (if applicable) by an official source.

Certification is usually in the form of a wet stamp on a copy of your physical degree certificate and transcript. If you have an agent representing you, and they have viewed the original physical document, they can stamp the document to verify that it is authentic. Please ensure the copy of the document is clear and legible and shows the whole document, including all four corners. If we are not satisfied with the certification, if it is missing entirely or the document is not legible, we will request that you provide a copy that satisfies these requirements.

Your university can email electronic copies of the documents direct to us via our email address
Electronically produced documents should be digitally signed/secured by the University to prevent editing and the documents must not be password protected. We will waive this requirement if the documents are emailed to us direct from your previous University’s academic registry or equivalent.

Certification is essential for verification purposes because you are not asked to send an original hard copy document to us, unless absolutely necessary.

We check all documents to ensure that they are genuine and, if necessary, we may request originals to be submitted and may also confirm the information contained in the documents with the awarding institution.

Submitting your reference

We require an academic reference to support your application and this should come from your current or most recent place of study (if you have already graduated). If it is impossible for you to obtain an academic reference, a reference from your employer may suffice but please contact us to check if this will be acceptable. For a limited number of programmes we may ask for both an academic and professional reference. If this applies to you, it will be clearly stated in your offer email.

We will not contact your referees directly - you must obtain your reference and send it to us.

Your reference should be signed and certified (on official letterheaded paper), and can be submitted in the following ways:

Please note: you must provide your referee’s official university, college or employer’s email address for verification purposes. We do not accept generic email accounts - for example gmail, hotmail, 163 or

Alternatively, we will accept an email reference if it is sent from your referee’s official university or employer email address. This should be emailed to

How to upload your documents

It is important to upload your documents to the online application portal as soon as possible so that you have enough time to arrive at the university before the start of term.

If you are an international student, after you have accepted your offer and met all of your conditions you will need to pay a deposit to receive your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You will need your CAS document to apply for your student visa (also known as the Student Route).

What happens next?

We will email you once your place is confirmed. Closer to the start of term, we will send information about your arrival at Loughborough and your induction programme.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

ATAS is a scheme run by the UK government for international students wanting to study certain subjects.

The ATAS certificate is issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and gives security clearance to study specific engineering, science and technology subjects.

Do I need ATAS?

ATAS clearance only applies to certain subject areas, where the knowledge gained could be used in the development or delivery of weapons of mass destruction (eg certain science, engineering or technology subjects). Only nationals of certain countries, or those who are subject to a visa requirement, must obtain ATAS clearance.

If you need to apply for an ATAS certificate, this will be included as a condition in your offer.

Results lower than expected?

If your results are lower than expected and do not meet your offer conditions, please upload your transcripts and contact us for advice. In some cases we may be able to suggest a similar or related programme, though this is not a guarantee.

Postgraduate Taught Admissions

Postgraduate Research Admissions