Explore career options
School of Social Sciences and Humanities
Your careers team
Based in the Bridgeman Building, Deborah can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs and opportunities. She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments in the Bridgeman Building that you can book on Careers Online.
- Exploring your career options if you are unsure what to do via a careers consultation.
- Mock interviews to help you prepare via a careers consultation.
- To book a careers consultation or mock interview, please call 01509 222 039.
- Email Deborah with any questions on firstname.lastname@example.org
Based in the Bridgeman building, Kate can support you with:
- Finding and applying for jobs, placements and opportunities.
- She has weekly bookable 20 minute appointments both in Bridgeman Building and within your departments that you can book on Careers Online.
- Kate will also send you tailored information to keep you updated with the latest relevant opportunities and events.
Room U2:10 Brockington Building
Phone: 01509 228329
Room U2:11 Brockington Building
Phone: 01509 223672
Key skills developed during your degree
- Ability to think and work independently
- Critical thinking and interpretive skills
- ICT and group work skills
- Ability to communicate effectively written and verbally to develop and sustain an argument
- Research skills
- Numerical skills
Geography is the spatial science; helping us all to better understand the world’s people, places and environments and the interactions between them – whether at the local, national or global scales.” Dr Rita Gardner CBE, Director of the Royal Geographical Society (with IBG).
Given that Geography is such a broad subject, the career opportunities are vast. The following sectors are often appealing to Geography graduates:
- The Physical Environment
- Development and Global Issues
- Policy and Government
- Geographic Information Systems
- The Business World
- The Built Environment
- Travel, Tourism and Leisure
The Royal Geographical Society has an excellent resource detailing career paths with Geography: https://www.rgs.org/geography/choose-geography/careers/
The study of Geography will give you a variety of transferable skills which will be relevant to many roles. Don’t forget 60% of graduate roles are open to all disciplines.
Further study at Loughborough University:
The Geography Department have several Postgraduate Taught Master's programmes you can apply to. You can also study for a research degree including a PhD (Post Honours Doctorate) or MPhil (Master of Philosophy). Further information can be found on the Department webpages.
Further study elsewhere:
To explore further masters courses, please go to Find a Masters.com
Where do graduates go?
What do Loughborough Geography graduates do?
Destination details for 2018 graduates (under the new Graduate Outcomes survey) is due to be released in Spring 2020.
Six months after graduating in 2017…
Main activity: 93% of those available were in work or further study (UK students only).
Mean salary: £21,254 for full-time graduate level employment (UK students only).
Industry locations (professional level roles): 30% in the South East, 21% in London, 13% stayed in the East Midlands, 9% in the South West, 9% in the West Midlands, 6% in the East of England and 6% in Wales.
Industry sectors (professional level roles): 14% were in administrative and support service activities; 14% were in education; 14% were in professional, scientific and technical activities; 10% were in financial and insurance activities; 10% were in wholesale and retail trade; 8% were in public administration and 6% were in information and communication.
ASOS, Boots, Centrica Plc, Environment Agency, Essex and Sussex Water, GSK, Hitachi Capital, Legal and General Insurance, Local Government, M&S, Majestic Wine, Office for National Statistics and Southern Water
Accessories Product Manager, Assistant Cost Manager, Business Development Coordinator, Commercial Marketing Graduate, Communications Assistant, Environment Officer, Environmental Management Associate, Media Analyst, Planning and Enforcement Officer, Social Researcher, Technology Graduate
Further Study included:
MSc Management, MSc Economics and International Business, MSc Globalisation and Cities, MSc Marketing, PGCE Secondary Education, MSc Construction Project Management, MSc Environment Politics and Society
Resources to research career areas
- Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management
- DLHE: Destination of Leavers of Higher Education Data
- Graduate profiles: What did students who studied your subject do
- Institute of Environmental Management
- PLOTR: Geography Related Careers
- Prospects: Options with a Geography Degree
- Royal Geographical Society
- Target jobs: What Can I Do With a Geography Degree
There are a number of videos available providing you with first-hand accounts of certain careers; including information on industries, sectors, job roles and tips on how to get into specific roles.
Some examples include:
For more videos please see:
Resources to find experience, placements and graduate jobs
Organisations that have graduate schemes directly related to Geography:
- Anglian Water
- Mott Macdonald
- National Grid
- Severn Trent Water
- Tesco - have a property graduate scheme
- Transport for London
Geography specific websites:
- Ends Directory
- Geography Jobs
- Royal Geographical Society (acre jobs, countryside jobs, environment jobs, environmental jobs uk, green jobs)
For generic placement and graduate websites, please see our Find jobs and work experience pages.