Dr Thomas Thurnell-Read BA, MA, PhD University of Warwick
Lecturer in Cultural Sociology
Thomas joined Loughborough University in May 2016 having previously been Senior Lecturer in Sociology at Coventry University. He received his PhD in Sociology from the University of Warwick in January 2010 and during that year was also an Early Career Research Fellow at the Institute of Advanced Studies.
Since January 2016 he has been a member of the Editorial Board for the journal Sociology, having previously been an Associate Board member since 2013, and also sits on the Editorial Advisory Board of Leisure Studies and is an Associate Editor of Annals of Tourism Research.
Thomas is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy and since 2017 has acted as External Examiner for the MA Consumption, Cultures & Marketing programme at Royal Holloway, University of London.
Thomas has over a decade of experience researching alcohol consumption and drinking culture and is internationally recognised as a leading scholar of sociological approaches to the study of alcohol, drinking and drunkenness. He is the editor of Drinking Dilemmas: Space, culture and identity (Routledge, 2015), is a founding member of the British Sociological Association’s Alcohol Study Group and has presented his research to diverse audiences in the UK, Denmark, Portugal, France, Sweden, Japan and Taiwan. He has extensive experience of media engagement and public dissemination and his research has featured in The Observer; The Conversation; Vice.com; The Morning Advertiser; and on BBC Radio 4’s Thinking Allowed.
Beyond his work on the social and cultural aspects of alcohol, drinking and drunkenness, his other research interests include material culture, the sociology of the body and emotions and qualitative research methods.
Thomas is convenor of Advanced Research Methods and Consumption Culture and Everyday Life modules and contributes to a wide range of other modules within the School of Social Sciences at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate level including Introduction to Research Methods; Gender, Sex and Society and Key Debates in Digital Media and Society.
- Thurnell-Read, T. (ed). 2016. Drinking Dilemmas: Space, Culture and Society. Abingdon: Routledge/British Sociological Association Sociological Futures Series.
- Thurnell-Read, T. and Casey, M (eds). 2014. Men, Masculinities, Travel and Tourism. Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2019. ‘A thirst for the authentic: craft drinks producers and the narration of authenticity’, British Journal of Sociology, Early View Version: https://doi.org/10.1111/1468-4446.12634
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2018. ‘The Embourgeoisement of Beer Changing Practices of ‘Real Ale’ Consumption’, Journal of Consumer Culture, 18 (4), 539-557: https://doi.org/10.1177/1469540516684189
- Thurnell-Read, T., Brown, L. and Long, P. 2018. ‘International Students’ Perceptions and Experiences of British Drinking Cultures’, Sociological Research Online. 23 (3): https://doi.org/10.1177/1360780418761207
- Thurnell-Read, T 2017. ‘What’s on your Bucket List?’: Tourism, identity and imperative experiential discourse. Annals of Tourism Research, 67, 58-66: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2017.08.003
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2016. ‘‘Did you ever hear of police being called to a beer festival?!’: Discourses of Merriment, Moderation and Responsibility Amongst Real Ale Enthusiasts’. The Sociological Review, 65 (1), 83-99: https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-954X.12361
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2015. ‘Serious Leisure, ‘Real Ale’ Enthusiasts and the Costs of Getting ‘Too Serious’ about Beer’, Leisure Sciences: An Interdisciplinary Journal, 38(1), 68-84: https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400.2015.1046618
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2014. ‘Craft, Tangibility and Affect at Work in the Microbrewery’. Emotion, Space and Society. 13, 46–54: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emospa.2014.03.001
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2013. ‘‘Yobs’ and ‘Snobs’: Embodying drink and the problematic male drinking body’. Sociological Review Online. 18(2) 3: https://doi.org/10.5153/sro.3000
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2012. ‘What Happens on Tour: The premarital stag tour, homosocial bonding and male friendship’. Men and Masculinities. 15(3), 249-270: https://doi.org/10.1177/1097184X12448465
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2012. ‘Tourism Place and Space: British Stag Tourism in Poland’. Annals of Tourism Research. 39(2), 801-819: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.annals.2011.09.009
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2011. ‘‘Common-sense’ research: Senses, emotions and embodiment in researching stag tourism in Eastern Europe’. Methodological Innovations Online. 6(3), 39-49: https://doi.org/10.4256/mio.2011.005
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2011. ‘‘Off the leash and out of control’: masculinities and embodiment in Eastern European stag tourism’. Sociology, 45(6), 977-991: https://doi.org/10.1177/0038038511416149
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2009. ‘Engaging Auschwitz: an analysis of young travellers experiences of Holocaust Tourism’. Journal of Tourism Consumption and Practice, 1(1), 26-52: https://pearl.plymouth.ac.uk/handle/10026.1/11527
- Thurnell-Read, T. and Parker, A. 2008. ‘Men, Masculinity and Firefighting: Occupational identity, shop-floor culture and organizational change’. Emotion, Space and Society, 1(2), 127-134: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.emospa.2009.03.001
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2019. ‘Beer Consumption, Embodied Distaste and Anti-Corporate Consumer Identities’, in Space, Taste and Affect, E. Falconer (ed). Abingdon: Routledge.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2017. ‘Atmosphere and Activism at the Great British Beer Festival’, in Untapped: Exploring the Cultural Dimensions of Craft Beer, N. Chapman , J. S. Lellock and C. Lippard (eds). West Virginia University Press.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2016. ‘Masculinity, Age and Rapport in Qualitative Research’, in M. Ward (ed), Gender, Power and Subjectivity: Reflections on Research Relationships in the Field. Bingley: Emerald (Studies in Qualitative Methods series).
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2016. ‘Identity, Friendship and Sociality’ in Handbook on Drug and Alcohol Studies: Social science perspectives, Koling, T., Thom, B. and Hunt, G. (eds). London: SAGE.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2016. ‘Beer and Belonging: Real Ale consumption, place and identity’ in T. Thurnell-Read (ed), Drinking Dilemmas: Space, Culture and Society. London: Routledge/BSA Sociological Futures.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2015. ‘Drinking Games’ in Alcohol, Martin, S.C. and Golson, J.G. (eds). Thousand Oaks: SAGE.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2015. ‘Male Bonding’ in Cultural Encyclopaedia of the Penis, Kimmel, M., Milrod, C. and Kennedy, A. (eds). Lanham: Altamira Press.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2014. ‘‘Just blokes doing blokes' stuff’: Individual and collective performances of masculinities during the Eastern European stag tour weekend’ in Men, Masculinities, Travel and Tourism, T. Thurnell-Read and M. Casey (eds). Basingstoke: Palgrave MacMillan.
- Thurnell-Read, T. 2011. ‘‘Here comes the drunken cavalry’: Managing and negotiating the Britishness of all-Male Stag tours in Eastern Europe’ in Britishness Identity and Citizenship: The View from Abroad, C. McGlynn, A. Mycock and J.W. McAuley (eds). Berne: Peter Lang.