Music practice rooms
Do you play an instrument or enjoy singing? Are you looking for somewhere on campus where you can practice? LU Arts has eight practice and rehearsal spaces available for Music VIP members to use free of charge.
Anyone with a Loughborough University campus card can join Music VIP. Advance booking is recommended for some of our rooms: please read on for further information.
Martin Hall: Piano / acoustic practice
Rooms in Martin Hall are equipped with pianos and are available for practice on orchestral / acoustic instruments.
They operate on a first come, first served basis between 8am and 10pm (when gates are locked, so please leave in good time), although you may be asked to find another room so that tuition can take place. Rooms 0.18 and 0.22 have grand pianos and can accommodate 2-3 musicians, the rest have uprights and are best suited for solo practice. These rooms have step-free access.
Please see the map below for location. From 8am-6pm you can follow the route through Martin Hall’s main entrance and across the courtyard. After 6pm you will need to enter the practice room block directly.
Please note that there are no toilets in the music practice room block. The nearest toilets (male, female and gender neutral accessible) before 6pm are in the main section of Martin Hall (across the courtyard); after 6pm the nearest toilets (male, female and gender neutral accessible) are in the Netball and Badminton Centre.
Cope Auditorium: Group / amplified practice or rehearsal
We also have a practice space behind Cope Auditorium, suitable for group practice and amplified instruments. There is no PA or drum kit provided, although there is an upright piano.
Advance booking is strongly recommended for this room: see below for availability and instructions. The room is available on a first-come-first serve basis when there is no booking showing.
The room is accessible for Music VIP members through the doors to the left of the auditorium as you look at it from Epinal Way. If you require step-free access, please contact us. There are male and female toilets either side of the room: the nearest accessible toilets are in the Edward Barnsley Building.
How to book
To book this room, please identify the free slot you wish to book and follow the instructions below the calendar. Please ensure that requests are made by 10am on the Monday of the week you wish to use the room.
- Open your university email account (using any client on any device).
- Create a ‘New Appointment’ and edit the date and time for start and end. As a general rule, slots should not be more than 3 hours and should not be recurring. If you wish to book a recurring slot or for more than 3 hours, please see step 6 below.
- In ‘Title’, type the purpose of your booking (e.g. ‘Band Practice’ or ‘Drama Rehearsal’).
- Click ‘Invite Attendees’ and enter rsrc.rm.66.0.03. You can also enter the Loughborough University email addresses of anyone else you wish to invite.
- Leave location blank.
- In the free text box, give more information on what you will use the room for if this is not obvious from the title. If you are making a request for a recurring slot or to use the room for more than 3 hours, please state why this is necessary here.
- Click ‘Send’.
- Wait for a confirmation email. The room will not be booked until you receive this, although you are free to turn up in the hope the room is still free. Pending bookings will be checked at 10am every Monday: requests made later in the week may not be seen until the following Monday.