- 2014 – ongoing : Palaeoenvironmental Scientist, British Geological Survey
- 2012 –2014 : Lecturer in Physical Geography, Loughborough University
- 2009 –2012 : Research Fellow, Federation University (University of Ballarat), Australia
- 2005 –2009 : PhD in Palaeolimnology, Department of Geography, Loughborough University
- 2013: Guest Editor for Special Issue of Climate of the Past (PAGES YSM).
- 2012- : Treasurer of the International Society for Diatom Research.
My research focuses on three main themes: (i) understanding long-term [Holocene] changes in climate [effective precipitation] and environments [catchment change] using fossilised algae preserved in lake sediment records; (ii) development and application of quantitative diatom models (transfer functions) to assess water chemistry changes through time and (iii) understanding the effects of human impacts on freshwater and estuarine ecosystems and how this may affect the resilience of these systems under increasing climatic and anthropogenic pressures. My research interest centres on trying to understand how lake ecosystems have responded to past climate changes from a multi-disciplinary perspective and to try to understand how resilient these often vulnerable but ecologically important freshwater resources may be to future climate changes, especially under increasing pressure from human activity, pollution and modification.
- Mills, K., Schillereff, D., Saulnier‐Talbot, É., Gell, P., Anderson, N.J., Arnaud, F., Dong, X., Jones, M., McGowan, S., Massaferro, J. and Moorhouse, H., (2016) Deciphering long‐term records of natural variability and human impact as recorded in lake sediments: a palaeolimnological puzzle. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water, online first.
- Tyler, J.J., Mills, K., Barr, C., Sniderman, J.K., Gell, P.A. and Karoly, D.J. (2015) Identifying coherent patterns of environmental change between multiple, multivariate records: an application to four 1000-year diatom records from Victoria, Australia. Quaternary Science Reviews, 119, 94-105.
- Atazadeh, I., Edlund, M.B., Van der Vijver, B., Mills, K., Spaulding, S.A., Gell, P.A., Crawford, S., Barton, A.F., Lee, S.S., Smith, K.E. and Newall, P. (2014) Morphology, ecology and biogeography of Stauroneis pachycephala PT Cleve (Bacillariophyta) and its transfer to the genus Envekadea. Diatom Research, 29(4), 455-464.
- Seddon, A.W., Mackay, A.W., Baker, A.G., et al. (2014) Looking forward through the past: identification of 50 priority research questions in palaeoecology. Journal of Ecology, 102(1), 256-267.
- Mills, K, Gell, P, Hesse, PP, Jones, R, Kershaw, P, Drysdale, R, McDonald, J (2013)Paleoclimate studies and natural-resource management in the Murray-Darling Basin I: past, present and future climates, Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 60(5), 547-560.
- Mills, K, Gell, P, Gergis, J, Baker, PJ, Finlayson, CM, Hesse, PP, Jones, R, Kershaw, P, Pearson, S, Treble, PC, Barr, C, Tibby, J, Brookhouse, M, Drysdale, R, McDonald, J, Haberle, S, Reid, M, Thoms, M (2013) Paleoclimate studies and natural-resource management in the Murray-Darling Basin II: unravelling human impacts and climate variability, Australian Journal of Earth Sciences, 60(5), 561-571.