Student Advice and Support Service

The Student Advice and Support Service (SASS) offers a free professional advice service for all current and prospective students.

SASS advises on a range of topics including student finance, money matters, the implications of changes to your studies, off campus housing (including contract checks prior to signing) and consumer issues. The service also provides tailored immigration support for international students, including advice on visa applications, guidance on the impact any changes to their study or circumstances may have on their visa and working in the UK during study.


We know that sometimes unexpected events can happen which have a negative effect on your finances. If you find yourself in financial difficulty, come and talk to a member of our Student Advice team who will be able to discuss your options with you and offer support and guidance.

Visit our finance webpages for more details of what our team can advise you on, it includes:

  • Undergraduate student finance
  • Funding for undergraduate placements and study abroad
  • Postgraduate taught and research student finance
  • Managing your money - for advice on how to make a budget, money saving tips, debt and information about various different types of bank accounts.
  • The implications of changes to your studies e.g. leave of absence, repeat study, withdrawal, changing course
  • Advice and support with a Hardship Fund application or an Emergency Hardship Loan
  • Money and leaving the University


Most of our students choose to live on campus during their first year at Loughborough, however after your first year you can choose to either stay in halls or move off campus and rent privately.

For advice about housing and living off campus, take a look at our housing webpages.

Our team can advise you on:

  • Your contract to rent off campus so you understand your rights and responsibilities and ensure if it is suitable. Contact us for a contract checking appointment before signing or paying any money. 
  • Deposits (checking it is protected and getting your deposit back when you move out)
  • Problems during the tenancy (e.g. disrepair, problems with agents/landlords, harassment etc)
  • Council tax problems
  • Ending your tenancy
  • Moving out
  • If you need a letter proving you are a student for council tax you can download one from the Student Self-Service (after you have enrolled)

Immigration and Visa Support

If you are an international student, our Student Advice team can support you with:

  • Applying for a Student Visa from outside the UK 
  • Applying for a Student Visa extension within the UK 
  • Guidance on the impact any changes to your studies or circumstances may have on your visa
  • Lost BRPs
  • How to bring your family to join you
  • Visas for travelling abroad
  • Working during studies
  • Graduate Route

Visit our international student support webpages for more information about the services we provide.

Request an appointment with an adviser online or by phoning +44 (0)1509 222765. We also offer email advice on