Careers Network is here to support you by providing information, advice, guidance, events and opportunities to enable you to secure placements, work experience, self-employment and graduate careers. Working closely your academic School, our team of experts ensures that every student has access to careers advice.
As well as large careers fairs, we hold sector-specific events, involving employers and Loughborough alumni, to help you make valuable connections and secure high-quality placements and graduate roles.
We encourage you to start thinking about you career as soon as you can. There is a lot you can do at university to prepare yourself for life as a graduate.
In your first year you can:
- Sign up to the Personal Best programme and use the app to help you review your skills and set goals for your development at Loughborough
- Explore the career options section of our website, which provides online tools for self-analysis and helps you to find out what career opportunities are out there
- Develop your personal and social interests by getting involved in clubs, societies, hall activities or local organisations
- Start researching placements before the end of the year
- Begin to build up varied work experiences through volunteering, work shadowing, work experience, internships, vacation or part-time work
- Consider the benefits of mentoring and networking as early as possible
Help with planning your career
- Careers guidance and daily advice appointments
- Workshops on career planning, networking and job searching
- Resources and individual advice on CVs and applications
- Interviews and mock assessment centres
- Tools for career choice
- Advice for securing placements, internships and work experience
- Enterprise experts to support students with new business ideas
Support finding a placement or work experience
Taking a year out on placement is a fantastic way to gain invaluable experience in a real workplace, developing your employability skills and building a professional network. There is a wide range of support available, provided in your own School or Department and by Careers Network. You can access opportunities advertised at Loughborough via our central vacancy system Careers Online. However, opportunities will also be promoted by your designated Placements Officer and you can also find placements advertised online.
With exceptionally strong links with employers, we host careers fairs and provide hundreds of opportunities for you to meet employers. The Careers Network team supports students throughout the application process, checking CVs, covering letters and application forms; holding mock interviews; and providing advice on psychometric testing and assessment centres. You can also meet Careers Coaches with specialist knowledge of your subject area to discuss application strategies and seek information, advice and guidance on your career plans.
Student and graduate enterprise and business support
Loughborough Enterprise Network (LEN) is here to support you on your business or self-employment journey. We provide valuable opportunities for you to develop your entrepreneurial skills through events and competitions, training, mentoring, online resources and funding, available to both our students and graduates. Whether you’re an experienced entrepreneur or wondering how to get started, we help you to transition into the world of entrepreneurship, innovation and new ventures, supporting you throughout every stage of your journey.
After graduation, alumni (up to five years post-graduation) can apply for a place on our accelerator programme, The Studio. Through this programme you can grow your business while accessing office space, specialist training and one-to-one coaching to bring your business ideas to life.