Student names and gender

Student names and gender

Your student record should show your full legal name (to match other official documents, such as your passport and birth certificate) at all times. The University also has to collect gender-related information for statutory reporting purposes, as explained below.

Page update imminent

This webpage is currently being updated to reflect forthcoming changes to University guidance and systems from the week commencing 27 February 2023.

As part of the University’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusivity, we wish to make all members of our community feel welcomed by using their preferred names. A preferred name is collected for all students as part of registration and students can update this themselves at any time. However, these preferred names are currently only visible in limited places outside of the core student record, such as Microsoft Teams and student email. We therefore have much work to do here.

With this in mind, the University is developing its student systems and processes to use preferred names as the default name throughout, except in some limited cases where legal name is required (e.g. degree certificates).

The first phase of this work begins with changes to a wide range of student systems in week commencing 27 February 2023. These nine systems are: Learn, Turnitin, Panopto, Gradescope, WebPA, Co-tutor, Digital Registers, Case Management and Off-campus Activity. This will address a large proportion of the systems that are regularly used by students and where academic staff in particular view student information, so that preferred name is shown to them as default. Further changes to remaining systems will follow in 2023 and 2024.

An updated version of the below webpage will also be launched in week commencing 27 February 2023 to coincide with the system changes providing improved information and guidance.

Student names

Your student record is an official record and should show your full legal name (to match other official documents, such as your passport and birth certificate) at all times. Your initial application should be made in your full name.

If you only have a single name, rather than forename(s) and a separate surname (as is typical in the UK), you should enter this in both the forename and surname fields of your application.

If you have not already provided a 'preferred forename', one will be created on your student record based upon your first forename.  You will be able to amend this when you register online in advance of starting your programme, or at any time during your studies via the Self-Service portal.

The official name held on your student record will be used throughout your studies in formal documentation, for example letters to confirm your registration, your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies if you are a Tier 4/Student visa holder, and your degree certificate and transcript.

If you wish to change your title (e.g. Miss, Ms, Mrs, Mr, Mx) whilst at Loughborough University, you should email Student Records and Operations (taught students) or the Doctoral College Office (postgraduate research students). To make any other changes to your name, you will need to make a written request using the form below. The form and supporting evidence (an original document or certified copy) should either be emailed to Student Records and Operations or the Doctoral College Office, or be taken to the Student Enquiries Counter on the Loughborough campus or Student Services desk at the London campus.

Student gender/sex

The University collects a range of information on legal sex, gender and gender identity, some of which we are required to provide in an anonymised way to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA) and Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) for statutory reporting purposes. You are required to provide your legal sex (whether as defined at birth or following gender reassignment) but can choose whether to give further details about your gender identity or select 'prefer not to say' options. We encourage students to provide this data so that we have a better understanding of the makeup of our student population. You will also be asked to indicate your preferred pronouns - 'he/him', 'she/her', 'they/them' or other free-text options so that we know how to refer to you.

You can update these fields, along with other protected characteristics data, at any point via the Self Service portal.

Frequently asked questions

What crucial supporting evidence do I need to provide?

Whilst it is technically possible to change your name in the UK without legally amending documents, as a public organisation, the University has a responsibility to prevent fraud. You will therefore be asked to provide one of the following forms of evidence:

  • Passport or national identity card
  • UK visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • UK or Irish birth/adoption certificate
  • Change of Name Deed (formerly ‘Deed Poll’)*
  • Statutory Declaration (witnessed by a practising solicitor or similar)
  • Marriage certificate
  • Decree Absolute (or Divorce Decree in Scotland) plus a copy of your birth certificate if reverting to your birth name
  • Police report to verify the use of an assumed name because you are considered to be a vulnerable person

* The University will accept an 'unenrolled' deed poll providing it is signed and dated.  

Where will my details be changed?

When you make a change to your preferred name or gender through the Student Self-Service portal, your details will be updated immediately in the University’s main student records database. When you request a change to your legal name, your details will be updated in the University’s main student records database shortly after receiving the request – once processed, you will be able to see the new changes in the Student Self-Service portal.

Most other University systems will be automatically updated overnight.  This includes the myLboro app, the Campus Living database, finance system (your student account) and MyPlacement.  Most University systems will show your full name; others may also include the preferred name given at registration or via the Self-Service portal.  Some systems will also show your gender.  If you have any questions about this, you can contact

What other organisations may I need to inform?

When you change your name, there are a number of additional authorities you may need to notify, for example the DVLA if you have a UK driving licence, your bank and the medical centre. The University will also expect you to ensure the following agencies are aware of your name change:

Funding bodies (if applicable):

  • Student Finance England/Northern Ireland/Wales or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland – if your names differ, this may cause delays in the receipt of your maintenance loan, tuition fee payment to the University or Loughborough Scholarship Programme payments which are made via the SLC.
  • Any other financial sponsors such as your employer or home government. If this is not possible for any reason, please contact the Student Office (taught students) or the Doctoral College Office (postgraduate research students).

UK Visas and Immigration (if you require a visa or other immigration permission to reside in the UK)

  • If you are a transgender student and your change of name and/or gender is not recognised by your national authority, it may still be possible to obtain replacement immigration documents from UKVI to reflect the change(s).


Loughborough Students’ Union

  • The changes made to your student record will update LSU’s student data system overnight. However, you will need to let the LSU HR team know if you work for the Union.  If you are a member of a society, you may also want to give them your new details. 

Is there support available at the University?

Support is available across the University, from your academic School, Student Services and Loughborough Students’ Union.

  • Student Services offer a range of health and wellbeing support.
  • LSU’s LGBT+ Association provides a support network for every student who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and any other identity.
  • The Student Advice and Support Service can provide practical support to help you update the name and/or gender held by the Student Loans Company, UKVI, or other external organisations.  

What if I'm a graduate?

All students are given the opportunity to check that their name is correct and make any necessary changes prior to graduation. It is the University’s policy not to allow retrospective name changes after you have completed your programme and graduated from the University; this includes instances where a name has changed following marriage or divorce. 

Name changes which are associated with gender reassignment, or other exceptional circumstances (e.g. you have changed your name because you require protection from a government agency as a vulnerable person) may be made.  If this applies, please email Student Records and Operations to request that your name and/or gender be amended. 

If you completed a postgraduate research degree, please also indicate whether you would like the name on your e-thesis to also be updated in the Research Repository. Evidence to support the change (a document from the above list) should also be provided.  You will be asked to return your original degree certificate(s) and transcript(s) and new ones will be issued.