Doctoral Researchers

If you are a doctoral researcher, you must contact the Doctoral College Office (DCO) via telephone or email. The DCO will aim to resolve your query over email/telephone first but, if there is a need for an in person visit, the DCO will book an appointment for you.

Frequently asked questions

How do I submit my thesis?

Check out the Doctoral College page on how to submit your thesis, including your intention to submit.

Please note your thesis must be submitted to us electronically. Hard bound copies are not required.

Doctoral College guidance on submitting a thesis »

I'm a doctoral researcher. How do I take a break from my studies? (Leave of absence/suspension of studies)

In exceptional circumstances, you may need to request a leave of absence from your research degree studies. Leaves of absence are normally permitted for up to 12 months. You should discuss this with your supervisors in the first instance. If you decide to proceed, you will need to complete an 'Request for Leave of Absence' form from the Doctoral College link below.

All requests will be subject to the approval of your supervisors and the Director of Doctoral Programmes. Once completed this should then be returned to the Doctoral College Office (Registry) in the Rutland Building (or email to

Guidance on Leave of Absence in the DC pages »

I'm a doctoral researcher. I want to leave. (Withdrawal from studies)

If you wish to withdraw from your studies we would strongly suggest you discuss this with your supervisor and/or your Director of Doctoral Programmes in the first instance. If you decide that the best option for you is to withdraw you can do this by emailing

Wellbeing support for Doctoral Researchers »

Where can I find essential information for doctoral researchers?

The Doctoral College site hosts a lot of really useful information, listed by where you are in your programme of research (Part 1, 2 or 3). You'll also find links for information specific to international DRs and the staff in your school, including the Code of Practice on Research Degree Programmes and the Doctoral College Handbook.

Doctoral College Essential Information page »

DCO contact details


Doctoral College Office

For all queries relating to the administration of your doctoral programme