Academic changes for Undergraduate UK students

Our guide gives you an outline of things to be aware of if considering any changes to your course. It is general advice for UK Undergraduate students.

If you are considering a change to your studies, we recommend that you make an appointment to speak with an adviser for specific guidance about your individual situation.

If you receive a Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Grant

You need to be aware that if you receive a Tuition Fee Loan or Maintenance Grant from Student Finance (England, Wales, Northern Ireland or SAAS in Scotland) there is a limit on the number of years of fee support you can receive.

As a general rule, fee support is available for the ordinary length of your course plus one year which can be used if you need to repeat a year, transfer course or start again. If you have studied more than one extra year of study, you will probably have to fund some of your own fees. (However, there may be an exception to this if you have “compelling personal circumstances”).

Please get advice as soon as you start to think about making changes to your studies and ideally before the changes are made.

Students with Tier 4 / Student permission

For students with Tier 4 / Student permission any study change may also have to comply with visa requirements. It is advisable to seek specific advice on your personal situation BEFORE you take any action. Please also see our information for international students on the dedicated page.

Further Information

This information relates to UK undergraduate students for academic year 2023/24. If you are a postgraduate, international or EU student please contact the Student Advice and Support Service for further help.

We can advise you on:

Last Updated: 13th February 2024