Deferring the start of your course

If you would like to defer entry to start your course a year later, written confirmation is required.

Please email indicating clearly in the subject line of the message that your enquiry relates to deferred entry. You should also include your full name and UCAS Personal ID.

Student Finance

You will need to notify student finance separately of your plan to defer, although funds (maintenance and tuition fee funding) will not normally be released until the University has confirmed your commencement after enrolment.

You will need to apply again for your student finance for the new start date of your course. Funding is not automatically deferred to the following year. Applications for funding normally open in February/March prior to the start of your course.

From Autumn 2025 the government is making some changes to the system for Tuition Fee loans called the Lifelong Learning Entitlement [LLE].  If you defer entry then you can expect to be in the new funding system. Maintenance loans, Disabled Students Allowances and other grants are not affected.


University Halls

If you have already reserved a Hall room you should complete the cancellation request form for the Student Accommodation Centre.  Please also refer to the Terms and Conditions.

Private Halls and Private rented Accommodation

If you have signed a contract for off-campus private halls or a private house/flat you will probably be liable to pay rent to the end of the contract whether you live there or not.

But if you do not wish to live in the accommodation, you can:

  • Check to see if there is an early release (break) clause in your contract.
  • Try to find a replacement tenant – The landlord needs to agree to the transfer to release you from your contract. It is strongly recommended that you sign a deed of surrender or assignment. We can advise you further on this.

If you are living in a private house / flat as a non-student you will become liable for council tax for the whole property (subject to a 25% discount on the full rate if you are the only non-student living in the property).

Last Updated: 12th December 2023