Academic changes for UK taught postgraduate students

This guide gives an outline of issues to be aware of when considering any changes to your course as a Postgraduate UK student.

It is general advice for Postgraduate Master’s students and includes specific information on funding for those funded by Student Finance England with a Master’s Loan. We recommend that you make an appointment to speak with an adviser for specific advice about your individual situation before any changes are made.

You can also to talk to the Careers Network about your future plans and how your course choices could affect your future career.

If You Receive a Master's Loan

It is important to note that if you receive a Master’s Loan from Student Finance (England, Wales, NI or SAAS in Scotland) there is a limit on the number of years of support you can receive.  Generally, UK Masters loans are available for one course only. If you change course, eligibility for a new loan is only possible in very limited circumstances. 

Loans for students from Wales, NI or Scotland, although similar, are subject to different rules.

Student Permission/Tier 4 Students

For students with Tier 4 / Student permission any study change may also have to comply with visa requirements. It is advisable to seek specific advice on your personal situation BEFORE you take any action. Please also see our information for international students.

Further Information

This information relates to UK postgraduate students for academic year 2021/22. If you are an undergraduate, International or EU student please have a look at the relevant webpages first and then for further help contact the Student Advice and Support Service.

Last Updated: 2nd January 2023