Teaching Best Practice Awards
This category of award was launched in 2021 and invites applications from anyone who has an example of best practice to share with colleagues across our Learning and Teaching community.
The category was created to celebrate and showcase colleagues’ excellent teaching and ingenuity whilst also building upon our community of best practice by creating a collection of case studies and resources.
Applications are considered at the Teaching Awards panel, with the ‘Highly Commended’ submissions being selected to feature on the University webpages. From those, the final winners of the Teaching Best Practice Awards are selected.
All those selected are presented with their certificate at the University’s Annual Learning and Teaching Conference and, in addition to this accolade, winners will also receive a monetary prize to be used to enhance their teaching practice.
The 2023/24 Teaching Best Practice Award criteria are:
- The case study must be completed within the template that is available alongside this guidance.
- The case study must contain evidence of the impact this practice has made upon the student learning, this may be through student feedback or through reference to the literature.
- The case study must consider the applicability and transferability to others within your own discipline and the wider University.
- This year the panel will be particularly interested in examples of assessment and feedback practice or methods and innovations in the curriculum.
- Alongside the case study please attach a short (1-2 minute) video of yourself giving an overview of your experience implementing this practice.
- Please include any extra resources i.e. supporting documents or videos that would help a fellow colleague implement/adapt your practice.
- Highlight the use of Loughborough University supported systems where possible.
Application submission point
Applications for the Teaching Best Practice Awards 2023 are now open.
Deadline for submissions is 5pm on 1st March 2023.
The application asks for a short case study and 1-2 minute video describing your project, its aim and impact.
Please submit your completed case study template and video pitch here.
If you have an idea that you are considering for an application please get in touch with email@example.com.
The following 2021/22 case studies were all rated as Highly Commended:
Sociological Futures: Embedding careers content in to teaching provision for finalists- Dr. Katie Coveney, Dr. Iris Wigger & Dr. Thomas Thurnell-Read, SSH
To view Sociological Futures: Embedding careers content in to teaching provision for finalists please click the button below:
Feedback: Developing a Community of Practice and Web of Support - Dr. Gemma Towle, Academic Language Support Service
Case study document to be added shortly.
Structural feeling and conceptual design: an innovative integrated learning framework to promote creativity and engagement - Mariateresa Lombardo, Giorgio Barone, Alessandro Palmeri
To view Structural feeling and conceptual design: an innovative integrated learning framework to promote creativity and engagement please click the button below:
From Fieldwork Sites to the Vegas Lights……Enriching an Environmental Research Curriculum in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic - Richard Hodgkins, SSH
To view From Fieldwork Sites to the Vegas Lights……Enriching an Environmental Research Curriculum in Response to the COVID-19 Pandemic please click the button below:
The following 2020/21 case studies were all rated as Highly Commended:
Introduction of Problem Based Learning to Students of POLIS - Christos Kourtelis
To view Introduction of Problem Based Learning to Students of POLIS please click the button below:
Using 2 Computers to Deliver Group Activities and Feedback - Helen Nowell
To view Using 2 Computers to Deliver Group Activities and Provide Individual Feedback please click the button below:
Collapsing the curriculum - Oliver Hooper
To view Collapsing the curriculum: Enhancing students’ engagement and attainment via professional learning opportunities please click the button below: