Getting your project up and running
Your funder may have a formal acceptance procedure with prescribed timescales within which your research project must start and starting expenditure rules. It is really important to share your official grant notification letter with the member(s) of staff who supported your application at the earliest possible opportunity so they can guide you through the acceptance process in a timely way.
Failure to follow your funder’s rules may compromise the value of funds the University can claim back during the lifetime of your award and any shortfalls will have to be absorbed by your School’s budget. If you need support with interpreting your funder’s guidelines, please contact the Research Support team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Areas to consider to get your project up and running
- Starting procedures: Research Councils and Innovate UK
- Ethical considerations and approval
- Contract negotiations and approvals (including collaboration agreements)
- Research health and safety compliance
- Agreeing your budget
- Recruiting staff
- Equipment procurement
- Setting up collaborative working practices