The Collective Ambition at Loughborough for Building Research Excellence, or CALIBRE, is a framework that brings together all the research components of the University’s Building Excellence strategy.
CALIBRE sets out the programmes through which we will reach our strategic ambition to deliver impactful, world-class research across all our disciplines.
At the heart of CALIBRE are the diverse research strengths driven by all 10 of our Schools. The programmes set out in the framework emphasise the breadth and depth of our strengths.
CALIBRE’s eight fundamental programmes are aligned to the four key themes of the University’s strategy.
Investing in our staff
- Research Leaders programme: supporting the next generation, particularly Post-Doctoral Research Assistants (PDRAs) and early career academics, so that Loughborough is recognised as a destination of choice for the best early career talent.
Raising standards and aspirations
- Ambition programme: identifying opportunities to progress and drive achievement at a higher level within existing research areas.
- Beacon programme: focusing on the following five research areas already recognised externally for their strength and quality – Sport and Exercise, Communication and Culture, High Value Manufacturing, Built Environment, and Transport Technologies.
- Adventure programme: capturing our desire to explore new areas of research or to translate expertise into new application areas.
Growing capacity and influence
- Thought Leadership programme: placing Loughborough at the heart of the debates of the day.
- Global Challenges programme: combining our disciplinary strengths to develop multi-disciplinary solutions to the biggest societal challenges of our time in the following four broad areas – Energy, Changing Environments and Infrastructure, Health and Wellbeing, and Secure and Resilient Societies.
- Here to Stay programme: bringing the world’s very best academic researchers to Loughborough with the Institute of Advanced Studies OLD as a flagship initiative.
Educating for success
- Doctoral College programme: delivering a financially sustainable world-class doctoral student experience.