Dr Wael Bahsoun
Reader in Mathematics
- (2000-2004) PhD in Mathematics, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
- (1998-2000) MSc in Mathematics, Concordia University, Montreal, Canada
- (1994-1998) BSc in Mathematics, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
- (2018-present) Reader in Mathematics, Loughborough University, UK
- (2013-2018) Senior Lecturer in Mathematics, Loughborough University, UK
- (2008-2013) Lecturer in Mathematics, Loughborough University, UK
- (2006-2008) Samuel Gratrix Fellow, University of Manchester, Manchester, UK
- (2004-2006) PIMS Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Victoria, Victoria, Canada
Current Administrative Role
- (01.08.2018-present) Department of Mathematical Sciences Research Coordinator
Editorial and scientific roles
- Associate Editor of Chaos, Solitons and Fractals
- Probabilistic Aspects of Dynamical Systems
- Ergodic Theory, Open Dynamics and Coherent Structures
- Member of the Advisory Committee of Dynamics Days Europe
Selected invited presentations
- On the stability of statistical properties for Lorenz flows. Journées de dynamique, 16-18 October 2019, Institut de Mathématiques de Jussieu-Paris Rive Gauche, France
- Linear response for random composition of maps. Thermodynamic Formalism: Ergodic Theory and Validated Numerics, 8-12 July 2019, Centre International de Rencontres Mathématiques (CIRM), Luminy, France
- Linear response for random composition of maps. 4th CRITICS conference, 12-16 March 2018, Wöltingerode, Germany
- Quenched decay of correlations for slowly mixing systems. Random Dynamical Systems 4-8 December 2017, Lorentz Center, Leiden, Netherlands
- Linear response for non-uniformly expanding maps. Statistical Properties of Non-Equilibrium Dynamical Systems Conference 27 July -02 August 2016, SUSTC Shenzhen, China
- Mixing rates and limit theorems for random intermittent maps. Thermodynamic Formalism and Mixing 25-29 April 2016, Erwin Schrödinger Institute, Vienna, Austria
- Linear response: formulae and rigorous approximations. Computations in Dynamics, 4-8 April , 2016, ICERM, Brown University USA
- Mixing rates and limit theorems for random intermittent maps. Sinai-workshop on Ergodic Theory and Dynamical Systems 11-12 June 2015, Leiden University, Netherlands
- Approximation of isolated eigenvalues of transfer operators and escape rates of open systems. 2 lectures during the school on Computation and Computability in Dynamics, 21 July-2 August 2014, ICTP, Trieste, Italy
- Decay of correlation for random intermittent maps. During the programme Mathematics of Fluid Earth, Isaac Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK, 25 November 2013
- Escape rates formulae and metastability for randomly perturbed maps. Limit Theorems for Dynamical Systems, 03-07 June 2013, Centre interfacultaire Bernoulli, Lausanne, Switzerland
- Quasi-invariant measures and escape rates. Special session: Hyperbolic Dynamics and Smooth Ergodic Theory; 8th AIMS conference 2010, May 25-28, Dresden, Germany
- Rigorous numerical approximation of escape rates. Measurable Dynamics: Theory and Applications, 2006, August 5-10, BIRS, Banff, Canada
Conferences and Workshops
- Dynamics, transfer operators and spectra, Centre interfacultaire Bernoulli, Lausanne, Switzerland, 1 January-30 June 2021
- Dynamics Days Digital 2020, minisymposium on smooth ergodic theory,- view talks by R.Castorrini, N. Jurga, M. Ruziboev, F. Sélley
- Response theory and its applications in geophysical fluid dynamics, Institut Henri, Poincaré, Paris, France, 14-16 October 2019
- Smooth ergodic theory and partially hyperbolic systems, Loughborough University, UK, 15-18 April 2019 - view a photo of the School here
- Dynamics Days Europe 2018, Loughborough University, UK, 3-7 September 2018
- Ergodic theory algorithms and rigorous computations, University of Warwick, UK, 3-7 April 2017
- Aspects of dynamical systems, Imperial College, UK 16-18 March 2017
- LMS-CMI School, Statistical Properties of Dynamical Systems, Loughborough, UK, 13-17, 2015 -view a photo of the School here
- Open dynamical systems: ergodic theory, probabilistic methods and applications, BIRS, Banff, Canada 8-13 May, 2012
- Transport and metastability in open and time-dependent dynamical systems, contributed minisymposium ICIAM2011, Vancouver, Canada, 18-22 July, 2011
- ISM Graduate Students Conference, Montreal, Canada, 10-12 May, 2002
- Dynamical systems seminar, Loughborough University UK
- UK Ergodic Theory Network (local organiser, Loughborough node)
- Dr. Marks Ruziboev (May 2016-April 2019). Supported by The Leverhulme Trust research grant RPG-2015-346
- Andrew Larkin (July 2019-present). Joint with Dr. Brian Winn
- Toby Taylor-Crush (Oct 2018-present). Joint with Dr. Brian Winn
- Xiaolong Niu (Oct 2012-March 2016). Thesis: Rigorous Computations of Dynamical Quantities
- Yuejiao Duan (Oct 2010-Sept 2013). Thesis: Stochastic Perturbations of Intermittent Maps
- Cisem Bektur (Oct 2009-Sept 2012). Thesis: Random Dynamics in Financial Markets
- The Leverhulme Trust VP2-2017-004. Visiting Professorship - José Alves, 15 October 2018-15 August 2019.
- The Leverhulme Trust RPG-2015-346. Reserach project grant, 01 May 2016-30 April 2019.
- LMS Conference Grant. Partial support to organise Dynamics Days Europe at Loughborough, 3-7 September 2018.
- The Leverhulme Trust IN-2014-021. Network consisting of Loughborough, Pisa, Warwick, Brest and Marseille; Bahsoun (PI), Galatolo, Pollicott, Saussol, Vaienti, 01 October 2014-30 September 2017.
- LMS-CMI Research School (RS-10). Support to organise a school for research students and early career researchers at Loughborough, 13-17 April 2015.
- Royal Society TG101937. Travel grant to support the research visit of Chris Bose to Loughborough, 19 June-09 July 2011.
- Twelve small grants (2011-2018): 8 from LMS and 4 from IMA.