Loughborough named world’s best sporting university
Loughborough has been named the best sporting university in the world in the global 2018 QS higher education league table.
To build a dynasty in a discipline an institution needs to be always improving and always thinking of the next generation, whilst getting the best out of their current stars. The pedigree in Sport at Loughborough is clear, and well known in the UK, hopefully this persistent global recognition will complement its strategy and help it sustain this position for years to come
Ben Sowter, Head of Research at QS
Unrivalled sporting achievements
Our sporting prestige is a direct result of the combined passion and ambition of all those associated with sport at Loughborough. There’s an atmosphere of determination on campus and a will to succeed that pervades all our activities – our achievements reflect this.
- Unbeaten British Universities and Colleges Sport champions for 37 years running.
- We were named Sports University of the Year in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and 2014.
- Loughborough won the prestigious University of the Year for Sport title in honour of its unparalleled role in the triumph of the British Olympic and Paralympic teams at Rio 2016.
- Over 80 students, graduates and Loughborough-linked athletes travelled to Rio to participate in both the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
- In the Olympic competition we secured 12 medals, including 5 golds, and if Loughborough University was a country we would have finished 17th on the medal table.
- Loughborough coaches also played a key role in the Games, with alumni guiding Team GB, Canada and Fiji to gold medals.
- During the Paralympic competition Loughborough-linked athletes secured a further 22 medals, and if Loughborough was competing as a nation it would have finished 10th in the Paralympics medal table.
- At the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, past and present students and Loughborough-based athletes won a total of 35 medals. If the University had been a country it would have finished 11th in the medal table.
- At the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, 90 athletes with Loughborough connections competed, winning a total of thirteen medals.
- Over 400 performance student athletes are currently studying and training at the University.
- Highest level of student sport volunteering in the country’ and ‘Highest recorded levels of student participation in sport in the country.
- Awarded 5* for sports-related subjects – International QS Stars Scheme 2018.
Names you’ll know
From alumni to collaborative partners, and organisations that use campus as their HQ, Loughborough University is associated with a number of household names.
Some of the most celebrated names in sport have studied at Loughborough including: