Known for our outstanding contribution to the world of sport for over 60 years
Bringing together exceptional athletes, facilities, coaching and research expertise with extensive partnerships with major sports organisations, we are proud to be the number one university for sport.
We topped the league in a special supplement focusing on the best universities for sport, gaining the most points in each of The Times’ three criteria – success in the British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) championship, in cup competitions and in individual performances in non-team sports.
Some of the most celebrated names in sport – including world record breaking athletes Sebastian Coe and Paula Radcliffe, one of the greatest-ever Paralympians, Tanni Grey-Thompson, and World Cup winning England rugby coach Clive Woodward – have studied at Loughborough.
- Students have won the BUCS title for 35 consecutive years, finishing more than 1,800 points clear of our nearest competitor
- Over 400 performance student athletes are currently studying and training at the University
- At the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, past and present students and Loughborough-based athletes won a total of 35 medals – a success so great that if the University had been a country it would have finished 11th in the medal table.
- At the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, 90 athletes with Loughborough connections competed, winning a total of thirteen medals
- Loughborough was chosen as the official Preparation Camp for Team GB in the run-up to the London 2012 Olympic Games. Over 500 Team GB athletes, alongside support staff, coaches and officials visited the camp to be officially ‘kitted out’
- The campus has the country's largest concentration of world-class training facilities and support services across a wide range of sports, including an indoor athletics centre, outdoor stadium and a 50m swimming pool.
- Loughborough’s School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences is world renowned. Its work to understand the interplay between exercise and disease was recognised as part of the 2012 Olympic legacy, with a multi-million Government award to build a National Centre for Sport and Exercise Medicine on campus.
- The Sports Technology Institute works with global brands, including adidas, Canterbury, Nike, Speedo and Umbro on the design, simulation, testing and manufacture of sporting goods.