Loughborough has been named University of the Year for Sport for the second time by The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017.
Known for our outstanding contribution to the world of sport for over 60 years, we bring together exceptional athletes, facilities, coaching and research expertise with extensive partnerships with major sports organisations, we are proud to be the number one university for sport.
Rio Olympic and Paralympic Games 2016
It is good to see Loughborough’s vital role in the Olympics and Paralympics recognised. We are incredibly proud of our sporting heritage. Our sporting ethos lies at the very heart of the University and has helped create an environment that motivates everyone to be the very best they can be.
Professor Robert Allison, University Vice Chancellor
University-linked athletes brought back 42 medals from Rio, and if Loughborough had been a country at the Games it would have ranked in the world top 20.
There is no university facility like it this side of the Atlantic. The breadth and quality of its sports provision helps make what happened in Rio this summer a probability and not just a possibility. After such a stellar summer, Loughborough really did leave all its rivals for Sports University of the Year in their blocks.
Alastair McCall, editor of The Sunday Times Good University Guide
Unrivalled sporting achievements
Our sporting prestige is a direct result of the combined passion and ambition of all those associated with sport at Loughborough. There’s an atmosphere of determination on campus and a will to succeed that pervades all our activities – our achievements reflect this.
- Unbeaten British Universities and Colleges Sport champions for 36 years running.
- We were named Sports University of the Year in the Times/Sunday Times Good University Guide 2017 and 2014.
- At the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, past and present students and Loughborough-based athletes won a total of 35 medals. If the University had been a country it would have finished 11th in the medal table.
- At the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, 90 athletes with Loughborough connections competed, winning a total of thirteen medals.
- Over 400 performance student athletes are currently studying and training at the University.
- 71% of students at Loughborough University regularly participate in sport at least once a week – Sport England Higher Education Sport Participation and satisfaction Survey for 2015/16.
Names you’ll know
From alumni to collaborative partners, and organisations that use campus as their HQ, Loughborough University is associated with a number of household names.
Some of the most celebrated names in sport have studied at Loughborough including: