Communication and Media at Loughborough University is the ideal environment to pursue a PhD in a variety of subjects, supported by internationally recognised staff doing cutting-edge research on a variety of topics.
Our staff supervise postgraduate research in five areas where we feature leading experts in their fields: culture, economy and policy; interaction and discourse; media, memory and history; nations and migration; and political communication.
As a postgraduate student, you will receive extensive training in both research and teaching, have the opportunity to participate in conferences and organise events, and become part of local and international networks of researchers in your field.
of our research is world-leading or internationally excellent
in Communication and Media Studies
in the world for research influence in Communication and Media
(Citations, QS World University Rankings 2019)
Thanks to a wide variety of research centres and labs you will be able to learn from and work with scholars that study communication from a variety of perspectives and disciplines.
- The Centre for Research in Communication and Culture organises a regular seminar series, events and conferences, all oriented towards the interdisciplinary study of communication.
- The Online Civic Culture Centre applies cutting-edge concepts and methods from social science and information science to understand the role of social media in shaping our civic culture.
- The Liquid Lab, Loughborough’s Qualitative Digital Research Laboratory, is a peer-to-peer network for postgraduate students using qualitative methods.
- The Discourse and Rhetoric Group brings together staff and postgraduate students who are interested in the use of language in society.
- The Global Media Studies Network brings together postgraduate students from Loughborough University, the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, the New School in New York City, and the Centre for Media, Data and Society at Central European University to organise a reading group and other events.
- Our staff also contribute to the postgraduate summer school of the European Communication Research and Education Association.