Preparing for UCAS fairs
Here you will find some idea to help you make the most of UCAS fairs, they are busy events and you will want to make the most of the opportunity so preparing questions in advance can help you focus when you get there.
- Wear my comfy shoes and clothing... it's a long day!
- Don't forget my barcoded ticket.
- Don't walk around with a large group, use the time to speak to the universities I'm interested in.
- Don't be scared to ask questions!
- Don't just take the freebies, gather the literature that I need.
- Take a strong bag. Prospectuses are very heavy!
How to prepare
- Identify in advance the universities that offer the course(s) that you are hoping to study.
- Highlight the ones that you are most interested in and visit these stands first.
- Plan your route in advance – UCAS fairs are set out in alphabetical order, but not all stands are in the same room.
- Draft questions in advance that you would like to ask the university representative.
- Take note of any answers you receive so you don't forget anything when you get home.
- If you have time remaining, browse other stands that you hadn't previously considered or attend seminars that may be running.
Potential questions to ask
- Course entry requirements
- Any additional entry criteria, for example, work experience, interview, wider reading
- Course content and structure
- Opportunities to study abroad or undertake a placement year
- Links with industry
- Information about the campus and university location
- Extracurricular opportunities
- Types of accomodation available