You should have an excellent academic record and must be in receipt of a conditional offer for a postgraduate taught programme. In addition, you should meet one or more of the following criteria:
- have been in care as a looked-after child
- have declared a disability in your postgraduate application
- be or have been a carer for an ill or disabled family member
- be from a low-income background, and received a higher rate of maintenance loan during your undergraduate studies
- be in receipt of the Disabled Students’ Allowance
- come from an area where progression to higher education is under-represented. This is based on the postcode of your home address before attending university, which should fall into quintile 1 or 2 of either the POLAR4 young participation, or the Adult HE qualification. You can check your postcode here.
- have faced other challenging personal circumstances during undergraduate studies, or prior to entering university.
You should also be planning to study full-time and be self-funding, that is, not in receipt of any other scholarship or sponsorship, except the Government Postgraduate Loan.
How to apply
Applications should be made via the Santander Becas (scholarships) portal. The Santander Becas service gives details of worldwide scholarships and other funding opportunities.
- Applications open on 1 March 2021
- Applications close on 30 June 2021
- Successful candidates will be informed by 30 July 2021
As part of the scholarship application, you will be asked to upload a supporting statement onto the Santander Becas portal. This should be no more than one side of A4 and should outline the following:
- how you meet the above criteria
- your past achievements in academic, professional and extra-curricular activities
- how you expect to benefit from your postgraduate studies, specifically with respect to future career plans
- why you need the financial assistance of a Santander Scholarship.
You do not need to provide any other documentary evidence in support of your application at this stage, but may be asked for it later.