How to start your application

Applying online allows us to process applications quickly, and provide you with a good service. Your application must be supported by documentary evidence of entry qualifications (including English language where appropriate) and academic transcripts.

Register for the online application portal

Our online application portal is an easy way to manage your application. Once you have registered, you will be able to save, review and track your application’s progress.

Online application portal

Complete the online application form

The online application form consists of 11 sections. You’ll need to provide your personal details, such as name and address, your nationality and how you plan to fund your studies.

You’ll also need to specify the type of programme you are applying for, i.e. a research programme, and select the department you wish to apply to from a dropdown menu. If applicable, you’ll also select which Centre for Doctoral Training you are applying to.

Please ensure if you are applying for a studentship that you quote the reference number.

We also request that you give details of the member of academic staff at the University with whom you have discussed your proposed research project.

The form requires details of the qualifications you have studied so far, including your English language qualifications, and there’s a section to provide details of your work experience.

Documents required on application

We require two academic references (certified on headed paper) to support your application. The University will contact your referees directly with a pro forma document on which to write their reference. 

Along with your references, we’ll also need copies of your supporting documents:

  1. an academic transcript of your undergraduate degree showing the modules studied and marks attained
  2. a copy of your degree certificate, if you have already graduated
  3. a personal statement - this should explain your motivation for your research project, any relevant skills and experience you have (through studying or work), and your future career aspirations and how this research degree will support you in achieving this. Remember to let your passion for the subject shine through!
  4. a research proposal (if applicable) You can find advice on writing a proposal here.

You can attach these to your application by uploading them as an attachment via the Application Portal.

Haven't got your results yet?

Don't worry if you don't have all of your results yet; you can upload the documents you do have and upload any outstanding ones when they are available.

You can upload your supporting documents online by returning to your application in the Application Portal and select on "View/Upload Documents".

What happens next?

We try to reach a decision as soon as possible, and you can help with this by including as much information as possible with your application. We normally aim to respond to an application within four weeks.