Student handbook

How we use your data

Student names

Your student record is an official record and should show your full legal name (to match other official documents, such as your passport and birth certificate) at all times.  Your initial application should be made in your full name. If you only have a single name, rather than forename(s) and a separate surname (as is typical in the UK), you should enter this in both the forename and surname fields of your application. 

If you have not already provided a 'preferred forename', one will be created on your student record based upon your first forename. When you register online in advance of starting your programme, you will be able to amend this  and it can also be edited via the Self Service portal at any time during your studies.

The official name held on your student record will be used throughout your studies in formal documentation, for example letters to confirm your registration, your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies if you are a Tier 4 student, and your degree certificate and transcript. 

If you wish to change your title (e.g. Miss, Ms, Mrs, Mr, Mx) whilst at Loughborough University, you should email the Student Office (taught students) or the Doctoral College Office (postgraduate research students). To make any other changes to your name, you will need to make a written request using the form below. The form and supporting evidence (an original document or certified copy) should be taken to the Student Enquiries Counter on the Loughborough campus or Student Services desk at the London campus.  

If you are a distance learning student or registered for reassessment without attendance, please email the Student Office (taught students) or the Doctoral College Office (postgraduate research students). 


Student gender/sex

The information held on your student record should reflect your legal sex (whether as defined at birth or following gender reassignment).  We have a statutory duty to collect this information but are considering whether other options, in addition to male and female, should be available.

Additional information for transgender students

If you have transitioned or intend to transition and would like to update the gender held on your student record, you should complete the form below.  You can either visit the Student Enquiries Counter in the Rutland Building or the Student Services desk at the London campus with your form and supporting evidence (an original document or certified copy) or make an appointment to discuss the changes to your record with the designated officer:

What crucial supporting evidence do I need to provide?

Whilst it is technically possible to change your name in the UK without legally amending documents, as a public organisation, the University has a responsibility to prevent fraud. You will therefore be asked to provide one of the following forms of evidence:

  • Passport or national identity card
  • UK visa or Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • UK or Irish birth/adoption certificate
  • Change of Name Deed (formerly ‘Deed Poll’)*
  • Statutory Declaration (witnessed by a practising solicitor or similar)
  • Marriage certificate
  • Decree Absolute (or Divorce Decree in Scotland) plus a copy of your birth certificate if reverting to your birth name
  • Police report to verify the use of an assumed name because you are considered to be a vulnerable person

* The University will accept an 'unenrolled' deed poll providing it is signed and dated.  

If you are a transgender student, you will not be asked to provide your Gender Recognition Certificate but will be asked to provide a form of identity from the above list which confirms your new gender.

Where will my details be changed?

When you request a change, your details will be updated in the University’s main student records database.  You will be able to see the new changes in the Self Service portal immediately.  Most other University systems will be automatically updated overnight.  This includes the MyLboro app, the Campus Living database, finance system (your student account) and MyPlacement.  Most University systems will show your full name; others may also include the preferred name given at registration or via the Self Service portal.  Some systems will also show your gender.  If you have any questions about this, you can contact

What other organisations may I need to inform?

When you change your name, there are a number of additional authorities you may need to notify, for example the DVLA if you have a UK driving licence, your bank and the medical centre. The University will also expect you to ensure the following agencies are aware of your name change:

Funding bodies (if applicable):

  • Student Finance England/Northern Ireland/Wales or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland – if your names differ, this may cause delays in the receipt of your maintenance loan, tuition fee payment to the University or Loughborough Scholarship Programme payments which are made via the SLC.
  • Any other financial sponsors such as your employer or home government. If this is not possible for any reason, please contact the Student Office (taught students) or the Doctoral College Office (postgraduate research students).

UK Visas and Immigration (if you require a visa or other immigration permission to reside in the UK)

  • If you are a transgender student and your change of name and/or gender is not recognised by your national authority, it may still be possible to obtain replacement immigration documents from UKVI to reflect the change(s).


Loughborough Students’ Union

  • The changes made to your student record will update LSU’s student data system overnight. However, you will need to let the LSU HR team know if you work for the Union.  If you are a member of a society, you may also want to give them your new details. 

Is there support available at the University?

Support is available across the University, from your academic School, Student Services and Loughborough Students’ Union.

  • Student Services offer a range of health and wellbeing support.
  • LSU’s LGBT+ Association provides a support network for every student who identifies as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and any other identity.
  • The Student Advice and Support Service can provide practical support to help you update the name and/or gender held by the Student Loans Company, UKVI, or other external organisations.  

What if I'm a graduate?

All students are given the opportunity to check that their name is correct and make any necessary changes prior to graduation.   It is the University’s policy not to allow retrospective name changes after you have completed your programme and graduated from the University; this includes instances where a name has changed following marriage or divorce. 

Name changes which are associated with gender reassignment, or other exceptional circumstances (e.g. you have changed your name because you require protection from a government agency as a vulnerable person) may be made.  If this applies, please email or write to the Graduation Office to request that your name and/or gender be amended.  If you completed a postgraduate research degree, please also indicate whether you would like the name on your e-thesis to also be updated in the Research Repository. Evidence to support the change (a document from the above list) should also be provided.  You will be asked to return your original degree certificate(s) and transcript(s) and new ones will be issued. 


Graduation Office

Rutland Building