Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

International Student Advice and Support

Visa Advice

Travelling outside the UK

If you are intending to travel outside of the UK while studying, it is advisable you do this at the start of your studies rather than towards the end, and nearer to when your Tier 4 visa is due to expire.  If you need a visa for another country you will often be required to have several months left on your UK permission.

Before travelling  check the immigration requirements of the country that you are travelling to and that UK law allows you to return. The leaflet below give more information about travelling outsdie the UK or you can visit the UKCISA website.

‌‌travelling abroad thumbnail
Travelling abroad

 Before you travel, make sure you take a photo copy or scan of your passport and visa/BRP card, and keep them in a safe place in case you lose the originals. The UKCISA website has more information about what to do if you lose your travel documents while abroad. We would also strongly advise that you take out travel insurance for your time outside the UK.

The Student Advice and Support Service is authorised to provide immigration advice and services by an order made under section 84(4)(d) of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (The Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (Part V Exemption: Educational Institutions and Health Sector Bodies) Order 2001 (Statutory Instrument 2001 No. 1403)). Should you have a complaint about the service you can use the Student Advice and Support Service's complaints procedure or you can use the OISC Complaints Scheme.