Working on a Student Visa

Whether you are allowed to work in the UK while here as a student will depend on your visa restrictions.

Most students on a Tier 4 / Student visa are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacations. However, you need to check to make sure this applies to you.

EU, EEA and Swiss Students

Until 30 June 2021, EU / EEA or Swiss nationals can demonstrate their right to work by showing their passport, identity card or other immigration status document to an employer. After 30 June 2021, an employer may require you to provide evidence of your pre-settled or settled status under the EU settlement scheme or evidence of your immigration permission to confirm the right to work in the UK. 

Work Entitlement

The UKCISA website has further information about Student visa / Tier 4 Work Entitlement.  If you are planning to work for the University while you are on a Student visa / Tier 4, guidance is available on the HR website 

When taking a job you need to consider the number of hours you will be working and whether this is going to be feasible combined with your studies. Working too many hours per week in term time can be detrimental to your studies. 

Whether you are starting a part-time job, a work placement or a full-time job on graduation, it’s important to be aware of your rights and responsibilities. Many employment rights rely on you being an ‘employee’, so it is important to know your employment status.The Citizens Advice website has more information about this. It is also advisable to understand your liability to pay income tax and National Insurance contributions. 

Problems whilst on Placement

If you are having a problem on your placement or need to discuss any concerns you are having, we strongly encourage you to contact the Placement team.You should do this as soon as you can and definitely before resigning or taking any action. 

How can the University Support you?

You can find guidance on various visa topics on the University’s webpages. These webpages include the most common visa related topics, questions and issues. You should always use the webpages first however if you require advice or guidance beyond what is covered on the webpages you can contact the Student Advice and Support Service.

Last Updated: 6th September 2022