Loughborough Student Managed Fund
The Loughborough Student Managed Fund (LSMF) is a new project for Loughborough University 2022/23. We are delighted to offer the opportunity for the University’s undergraduates to manage a real-world portfolio of investment vehicles. The overall goal of LSMF is to deepen our students’ understanding of investing, and for the fund to make an annual philanthropic contribution for the benefit of Loughborough University’s Opportunity Scholarship Programme.
The LSMF was established at the University in 2022 thanks to a generous founding donation of $250,000 from Margaret (Meg) Dawson.
The Fund has two core objectives:
- To enhance and deepen the educational experience and employability of Loughborough University students, by giving them the opportunity to manage a significant investment portfolio, with the oversight and support of academic staff, as part of the extra-curricular Loughborough experience.
- To make an annual philanthropic contribution to the University’s ‘Access to Education’ programmes, helping to ensure Loughborough’s accessibility to the widest possible range of deserving people. The fund’s current focus is providing funding for Opportunity Scholarships.
The LSMF is run by the Fund Management Committee of students, which draws upon the collective research capability of Loughborough’s Finance and Investment Society to make quarterly investment decisions. The activities of the fund are overseen by the Board of the LSMF to ensure smooth running and adherence to Loughborough University’s Ethical Investment Policy.
The Loughborough Student Managed Fund was made possible by a generous, founding philanthropic donation of $250,000 by a former student of the University, Margaret (Meg) Dawson.
“I believe all students who qualify for a university place should not be denied by lack of funds. The initial capital contribution ($250,000) is intended to develop a sustainable model to financially support students in need while encouraging students to be socially responsible investors as they develop their business finance skills. The Loughborough Student Managed Fund (LSMF) has been created to meet these goals. LSMF - managed by and for students- is a prototype, a first of its kind in the UK. My vision, if proof of concept, is to expand with additional individual and corporate support to build closer relationships between academia and the business community for the benefit of all. I am grateful for the enthusiastic support of the University to jointly achieve these goals, especially the faculty oversight team and all the participating students."
Margaret (Meg) Dawson,
Charleston, South Carolina, USA
Members of the LSMF Board
- Ms Margaret Dawson – Founding Donor to the Fund
- Ms Alexandra Owen* – Chief Financial Officer
- Mr Stephen Frost - The University Representative for the Fund
- Mrs Rachel Third* - Director of Philanthropy, Alumni and Supporter Engagement
*or his/her/their nominated representative/deputy
Members of the LSMF Committee
- Paarth Gupta – Chair of Loughborough Finance and Investment Society
- Jake Wilson - Chair of the Loughborough Student Management Fund Committee
- Olivia Orman - Loughborough Student Management Fund Committee Member
- Aadi Narayan - Loughborough Student Management Fund Committee Member
- Stuti Adhikari - Loughborough Student Management Fund Committee Member
- Aaron Warren - Loughborough Student Management Fund Committee Member
- Rhiannan Davies - Loughborough Student Management Fund Committee Member
The Loughborough Student Managed Fund is currently in its inaugural year of operation. Students can get involved by becoming one of the Student Fund Managers.
If you are a Loughborough Student and would like to be involved in the Fund as a member of the Fund Management Committee, or as a member of the Finance and Investment Society, please contact the Society directly or write to Stephen Frost in the School of Business and Economics.