Dr Dong Li BEng MEng (XJTU), MEng (NUS), PhD (Lancaster)
Reader in Operations Management
Healthcare OR; Revenue Management and Pricing; Choice-Modelling; Resource Allocation; Approximate Dynamic Programming; Multi-armed Bandits
Dong Li is a reader in Operations Management in the School of Business and Economics at Loughborough University. Prior to Loughborough he was a lecturer in Operations Management at University of York. Apart from the academic posts, Dong had worked as an operations researcher in AVIS Budget Group (Bracknell, UK) and Intel Corp (Shanghai, China). He holds a BEng in Mechanical Engineering from Xi’an Jiaotong University, China, and an MEng from the same institution. He also obtained an MEng (in Industrial Engineering) from National University of Singapore. Dong received his PhD degree in Management Science from Lancaster University, supervised by the Distinguished Professor Kevin Glazebrook.
Dong’s teaching focuses on operations management, project management and supply chain management. His students come from all levels, including undergraduates, MSc students, and mature students in executive educations programmes (e.g., MBA, EMBA). Dong acted as the Academic Lead for Programme Quality of the school from 2020-2022. Dong is an Associate Editor of Computational Management Science. He Co-chairs the committee of Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Operational Research Society. He sits on the program committee of the International Conference on Business Management of Technology in Japan. He also acts as the external examiner for a few universities in the UK and China.
“If you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never come up with anything original.” - Sir Ken Robinson
Dong’s main research interests include Revenue Management and Pricing, Choice-Modelling, and Scheduling and Resource Allocation (in Healthcare in particular). Methodologically he is mostly skilled in Markov Decision Process, Approximate Dynamic Programming, and Multi-armed Bandits.
His research has appeared in Production and Operations Management, European Journal of Operational Research, Naval Research Logistics, Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, OR Spectrum, Transportation Research Part E, Annals of Operations Research, International Journal of Production Research, and etc.
In 2020, Dong and colleagues from a few other universities and NHS England were awarded a grant from EPSRC to study critical medical resource rationing protocols in public health emergencies such as Covid-19.
We always welcome PhD applicants who are interested in any of those research areas mentioned above. For informal discussions, please contact Dong via the email listed on this page.
- 2022 - present: Co-Chair, Yorkshire and the Humber Regional Committee, Operational Research Society.
- 2022 - present: Associate Editor of Computational Management Science
- 2020 - present: Programme Committee member, the International Conference on Business Management of Technology, organised by the International Institute of Applied Informatics, Japan
- 2012- present: reviewers for journals including European Journal of Operational Research, INFORMS Journal on Computing, Annals of Operations Research, IMA Journal of Management Mathematics, etc
- 2012 - present: invited talks/seminars in the UK and China
- 2014 - Teaching Award, The York Management School, University of York
- 2012 - Operational Research Society PhD prize Runners-up
- 2011 - Kingsman Prize for the best doctoral researcher, Lancaster University
- D. Li, Z. Pang, L. Qian, Bid price controls for car rental network revenue management, Production and Operations Management, forthcoming
- D. Zhang, D. Li, H. Sun, L. Hou, The vehicle routing problem with distribution uncertainty in deadlines, European Journal of Operational Research, 292(1), 311-326, 2020
- Y. Zhou, X. Guo, D. Li, A dynamic programming approach to Multi-objective sequence-dependent disassembly line balancing problems, Annals of Operations Research, 1-24, 2020
- D. Li, L. Ding, S. Connor, When to switch? Index policies for resource scheduling in emergency response, Production and Operations Management, 29(2), 241-262, 2019
- D. Yu, D. Li, M. Sha, D. Zhang, Carbon-efficient deployment of electric Rubber-tyred gantry cranes in container terminals with workload uncertainty, European Journal of Operational Research, 275(2), 552-569, 2018
- D. Li, Z. Pang, Dynamic booking control for car rental revenue management: a decomposition approach, European Journal of Operational Research, 256(3):850-867, 2017
- D. Li, K. D. Glazebrook, A Bayesian approach to the triage problem with imperfect classification, European Journal of Operational Research, 215(1): 169-180, 2011
- D. Li, K. D. Glazebrook, An approximate dynamic programming approach to the development of heuristics for the scheduling of impatient jobs in a clearing system, Naval Research Logistics, 57(3): 225-236, 2010