Dr Ilkka Leppänen MSc, DSc (Aalto University), FHEA
Lecturer in Operations Management
Social decision making; other-regarding preferences; evolutionary games; behavioural operational research
Ilkka Leppänen is a Lecturer in Operations Management at the School of Business and Economics. He completed his Doctorate in Operations Research at Aalto University, Finland.
He was previously at the Systems Analysis Laboratory, Aalto University, where he conducted behavioural and analytical research on social decision making.
Ilkka is the Programme Director for BSc Business Analytics. He teaches modules in operations management, managerial decision modelling, and behavioural decision making. Previously he has also taught dynamic optimisation and applied mathematics. Ilkka welcomes applications from prospective PhD students looking to work in mathematical modelling of operations problems or human decision making.
Ilkka’s research interests are in applying game theory and behavioural and experimental methods to managerial decision problems. Specifically, he is interested in how behavioural biases and reference effects evolve in environments with multiple decision makers who have conflicting interests.
Ilkka is also interested in psychophysiological and neuroeconomic research in decision making. He has previously conducted behavioural experiments that study how emotions, measured with facial electromyography and galvanic skin response, correlate with social decision making and interaction styles.
He is the co-leader of the Behavioural Decision Sciences Research Interest Group, and member of the Logistics and Transportation Analytics Research Interest Group.
- Leppanen I, 2020. Partial commitment in an endogenous timing duopoly. Annals of Operations Research 287, 783—799.
- Leppanen I, Hamalainen RP, Saarinen E, Viinikainen M, 2018. Intrapersonal emotional responses to the inquiry and advocacy modes of interaction: a psychophysiological study. Group Decision and Negotiation 27, 933—948.
- Leppanen I, 2018. Evolutionarily stable conjectures and other regarding preferences in duopoly games. Journal of Evolutionary Economics 28, 347—364.
- Leppanen I, Hamalainen RP, 2017. Emotions in a repeated Cournot duopoly game: A psychophysiological experiment. Journal of Neuroscience, Psychology, and Economics 10, 9—23.
- Leppanen I, 2016. Consistent conjectures and the evolutionary stability of other regarding preferences. Economics Letters 142, 53—55.