- 2017 - present: Professor, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- 2018 (6 months) Acting Dean of Science, Loughborough University.
- 2015 - 2018 Head of Department of Mathematical Sciences, Loughborough University.
- 2013 - 2017 Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- 2006 - 2013 Lecturer, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- 2006 - 2011 RCUK Academic Fellowship, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
- 2006 Research Scientist, University of Bath Physics Department.
- 2003 - 2006 EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Theoretical Physics, University of Bristol.
- 2003 Visiting scientist, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf Physics Department.
- 2000 - 2003 Postgraduate, University of Bristol Physics Department. PhD in Theoretical Physics.
- 1996 - 2000 Undergraduate, University of Bristol. MSci Physics.
My research lies in the field of soft condensed matter and liquid state theory.
Topics of current interests are:
- The behaviour of liquids at interfaces, such as the wetting properties of a liquid.
- To understand and predict the structures and patterns that are formed when a thin film of colloidal suspension is placed on a surface and the solvent subsequently evaporates. As the liquid evaporatively dewets, regular line patterns, branched finger patterns, network patterns and other structures can be formed by the colloids that are deposited on the surface.
- I develop "dynamical density functional theories", which are theories to describe the microscopic structure and dynamics of colloidal fluids.
- Theories to understand the phase behaviour of fluids: I address how and why (colloidal) fluids phase separate into a low density and high density phase and when they freeze or form a glass. I also study the dynamics of these phase changes.
- Understanding how and why quasicrystals form.
I am responsible for the modules:
- MAP111 - Mathematical Modelling 1 (50%)
- MAP211 - Mathematical Modelling 2 (50%)
- MAC249 - Linear Differential Equations
- MAC200 - Mathematics Report