Professor Andrew Archer
Professor of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics
2017 - present: Professor, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
2018 (6 months) Acting Dean of Science, Loughborough University.
2015 - 2018 Head of Department of Mathematical Sciences, Loughborough University.
2013 - 2017 Senior Lecturer, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
2006 - 2013 Lecturer, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
2006 - 2011 RCUK Academic Fellowship, Loughborough University, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
2006 Research Scientist, University of Bath Physics Department.
2003 - 2006 EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Theoretical Physics, University of Bristol.
2003 Visiting scientist, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf Physics Department.
2000 - 2003 Postgraduate, University of Bristol Physics Department. PhD in Theoretical Physics.
1996 - 2000 Undergraduate, University of Bristol. MSci Physics.
My research lies in the field of soft condensed matter and liquid state theory. Topics of current interests are:
- The behaviour of liquids at interfaces, such as the wetting properties of a liquid.
- To understand and predict the structures and patterns that are formed when a thin film of colloidal suspension is placed on a surface and the solvent subsequently evaporates. As the liquid evaporatively dewets, regular line patterns, branched finger patterns, network patterns and other structures can be formed by the colloids that are deposited on the surface.
- I develop "dynamical density functional theories", which are theories to describe the microscopic structure and dynamics of colloidal fluids.
- Theories to understand the phase behaviour of fluids: I address how and why (colloidal) fluids phase separate into a low density and high density phase and when they freeze or form a glass. I also study the dynamics of these phase changes.
- Understanding how and why quasicrystals form.
89. Snaking without subcriticality: grain boundaries as non-topological defects
P. Subramanian, A.J. Archer, E. Knobloch and A.M. Rucklidge, submitted to IMA J. Appl. Math. , (2021).
arXiv:2011.08636. See also this popular article.
88. Localized states in passive and active phase-field-crystal models
M.P. Holl, A.J. Archer, S.V. Gurevich, E. Knobloch, L. Ophaus and U. Thiele, submitted to IMA J. Appl. Math. , (2021).
87. The density distribution in soft matter crystals and quasicrystals
P. Subramanian, D.J. Ratliff, A.M. Rucklidge and A.J. Archer, submitted to Phys. Rev. Lett. , (2021).
86. Dynamical density functional theory for the drying and stratification of binary colloidal dispersions
B. He, I. Martin-Fabiani, R. Roth, G.I. Tóth and A.J. Archer, Langmuir , (2021).
85. How ice grows from premelting films and water droplets
D.N. Sibley, P. Llombart, E.G. Noya, A.J. Archer and L.G. MacDowell, Nature Comm. 12, 239 (2021).
Nature Comm link, arXiv:2003.04252. See also associated press release.
84. Evaporation-driven self-assembly of binary and ternary colloidal polymer nanocomposites for abrasion resistant applications
J.D. Tinkler, A. Scacchi, H.R. Kothari, H. Tulliver, M. Argaiz, A.J. Archer, and I. Martin-Fabiani, J. Colloid Interface Sci. 581, 729 (2021).
83. Efficient calculation of phase coexistence and phase diagrams: application to a binary phase-field crystal model
M.P. Holl, A.J. Archer and U. Thiele, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 33, 115401 (2021).
JPCM link, arXiv:2009.02946
80. Adaptive stochastic continuation with a modified lifting procedure applied to complex systems
C. Willers, U. Thiele, A.J. Archer, D. Lloyd, and O. Kamps, Phys. Rev. E 102, 032210 (2020).
PRE link, arXiv:2002.01705
79. Pattern formation in two-dimensional hard-core/soft-shell systems with variable soft shell profiles
W.R.C. Somerville, A.D. Law, M. Rey, N. Vogel, A.J. Archer and D.M.A. Buzza, Soft Matter 16, 3564 (2020).
Soft Matter link, arXiv:2002.01705
76. Which wave numbers determine the thermodynamic stability of soft matter quasicrystals?
D.J. Ratliff, A.J. Archer, P. Subramanian and A.M. Rucklidge, Phys. Rev. Lett. 123, 148004 (2019).
PRL link, arXiv:1907.05805
75. Kinetic Monte Carlo and hydrodynamic modeling of droplet dynamics on surfaces, including evaporation and condensation
M. Areshi, D. Tseluiko and A.J. Archer, Phys. Rev. Fluids 4, 104006 (2019).
PRF link, arXiv:1906.08121
74. Deriving phase field crystal theory from dynamical density functional theory: consequences of the approximations
A.J. Archer, D.J. Ratliff, A.M. Rucklidge and P. Subramanian, Phys. Rev. E 100, 022140 (2019).
PRE link, arXiv:1908.02537
71. Density functional theory for the crystallization of two-dimensional dipolar colloidal alloys
W.R.C. Somerville, J.L. Stokes, A.M. Adawi, T.S. Horozov, A.J. Archer and D.M.A. Buzza, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 30, 405102 (2018).
JPCM link, arXiv:1808.10729
69. Structural crossover in a model fluid exhibiting two length scales: repercussions for quasicrystal formation
M.C. Walters, P. Subramanian, A.J. Archer and R. Evans, Phys. Rev. E 98, 012606 (2018).
PRE link, arXiv:1807.01467
68. Dehydration of bacterial cellulose and the water content effects on its viscoelastic and electrochemical properties
A. Rebelo, A.J. Archer, X. Chen, C. Liu, G. Yang and Y. Liu, Sci. Technol. Adv. Mater. 19, 203 (2018).
65. The standard mean-field treatment of inter-particle attraction in classical DFT is better than one might expect
A.J. Archer, B. Chacko and R. Evans, J. Chem. Phys. 147, 034501 (2017).
JCP link, arXiv:1706.08744
64. Modelling the evaporation of nanoparticle suspensions from heterogeneous surfaces
C. Chalmers, R. Smith and A.J. Archer, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 29, 295102 (2017).
JPCM link, arXiv:1706.01288. See also the associated JPhys+ article.
63. Nudged Elastic Band calculation of the binding potential for liquids at interfaces
O. Buller, W. Tewes, A.J. Archer, A. Heuer, U. Thiele and S.V. Gurevich, J. Chem. Phys. 147, 024701 (2017).
JCP link, arXiv:1706.01288, See also the associated APS talk slides.
62. Solvent fluctuations around solvophobic, solvophilic and patchy nanostructures and the accompanying solvent mediated interactions
B. Chacko, R. Evans and A.J. Archer, J. Chem. Phys. 146, 124703 (2017)
JCP link, arXiv:1702.08278, Selected for the 2017 Editors' choice
61. Influence of the fluid structure on the binding potential: comparing liquid drop profiles from density functional theory with results from mesoscopic theory
A.P. Hughes, U. Thiele and A.J. Archer, J. Chem. Phys. 146, 064705 (2017).
JCP link, arXiv:1611.06957, See also the associated APS talk slides.
60. Films, layers and droplets: The effect of near-wall fluid structure on spreading dynamics
H. Yin, D.N. Sibley, U. Thiele and A.J. Archer, Phys. Rev. E 95, 023104 (2017).
PRE link, arXiv:1611.00390
59. A new potential for radiation studies of borosilicate glass
A.F. Alharbi, K. Jolley, R. Smith, A.J. Archer and J.K. Christie, Nucl. Instrum. Methods B 393, 73 (2017).
57. Three-dimensional icosahedral phase field quasicrystal
P. Subramanian, A.J. Archer, E. Knobloch and A.M. Rucklidge, Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 075501 (2016).
PRL link, arXiv:1602.01256, This paper is an Editors' Suggestion. Priya Subramanian wrote more about this in The Conversation UK.
56. Generation of defects and disorder from deeply quenching a liquid to form a solid
A.J. Archer, M.C. Walters, U. Thiele and E. Knobloch, Springer Proceedings in Mathematics & Statistics 166, 1 (2016).
Springer link, arXiv:1505.07976
52. Liquid drops on a surface: using density functional theory to calculate the binding potential and drop profiles and comparing with results from mesoscopic modelling
A.P. Hughes, U. Thiele and A.J. Archer, J. Chem. Phys. 142, 074702 (2015).
JCP link, arXiv:1501.07046, See also the associated APS talk slides.
50. Solidification in soft-core fluids: disordered solids from fast solidification fronts
A.J. Archer, M.C. Walters, U. Thiele and E. Knobloch, Phys. Rev. E 90, 042404 (2014).
PRE link, arXiv:1407.7099
48. Sedimentation of a two-dimensional colloidal mixture exhibiting liquid-liquid and gas-liquid phase separation: a dynamical density functional theory study
A. Malijevsky and A.J. Archer, J. Chem. Phys. 139, 144901 (2013).
JCP link, arXiv:1309.4326
46. Note on the hydrodynamic description of thin nematic films: strong anchoring model
T.-S. Lin, L.J. Cummings, A.J. Archer, L. Kondic and U. Thiele, Phys. Fluids 25, 082102 (2013).
PoF link, arXiv:1301.4110
45. Localized states in the conserved Swift-Hohenberg equation with cubic nonlinearity
U. Thiele, A.J. Archer, M.J. Robbins, H. Gomez and E. Knobloch, Phys. Rev. E 87, 042915 (2013).
PRE link, arXiv:1301.4472
43. Thermodynamically consistent description of the hydrodynamics of free surfaces covered by insoluble surfactants of high concentration
U. Thiele, A.J. Archer and M. Plapp, Phys. Fluids 24, 102107 (2012).
PoF link, arXiv:1202.1688
42. Solidification fronts in supercooled liquids: how rapid fronts can lead to disordered glassy solids
A.J. Archer, M.J. Robbins, U. Thiele and E. Knobloch, Phys. Rev. E 86, 031603 (2012).
PRE link, arXiv:1206.0902
41. Modelling the formation of structured deposits at receding contact lines of evaporating solutions and suspensions
L. Frastia, A.J. Archer and U. Thiele, Soft Matter 8, 11363 (2012).
Soft Matter link, arXiv:1208.6127
40. Modeling the structure of liquids and crystals using one- and two-component modified phase-field crystal models
M.J. Robbins, A.J. Archer, U. Thiele and E. Knobloch, Phys. Rev. E 85, 061408 (2012).
PRE link, arXiv:1112.2074
37. Criticality and phase separation in a two-dimensional binary colloidal fluid induced by the solvent critical behaviour
O. Zvyagolskaya, A.J. Archer and C. Bechinger, Europhys. Lett. 96, 28005 (2011).
EPL link, arXiv:1108.5966
36. Modelling the evaporation of thin films of colloidal suspensions using Dynamical Density Functional Theory
M.J. Robbins, A.J. Archer and U. Thiele, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 23, 415102 (2011).
JPCM link, arXiv:1106.4467. See also the associated Labtalk article.
34. Ratcheting of driven attracting colloidal particles: Temporal density oscillations and current multiplicity
A. Pototsky, A.J. Archer, S. Savel'ev, U. Thiele and F Marchesoni, Phys. Rev. E 83, 061401 (2011).
PRE link, arXiv:1103.2871
33. On the interplay between sedimentation and phase separation phenomena in two-dimensional colloidal fluids
A.J. Archer and A. Malijevsky, Mol. Phys. 109, 1087 (2011).
Mol Phys link, arXiv:1011.2694
31. The van Hove distribution function for Brownian hard spheres: dynamical test particle theory and computer simulations for bulk dynamics
P. Hopkins, A. Fortini, A.J. Archer, M. Schmidt, J. Chem. Phys. 133, 224505 (2010).
JCP link, arXiv:1010.2124
30. Collective shuttling of attracting particles in asymmetric narrow channels
A. Pototsky, A.J. Archer, M. Bestehorn, D. Merkt, S. Savel'ev and F. Marchesoni, Phys. Rev. E 82, 030401(R) (2010).
PRE link, arXiv:1004.4534
29. Dynamical density functional theory for the dewetting of evaporating thin films of nanoparticle suspensions exhibiting pattern formation
A.J. Archer, M.J. Robbins and U. Thiele, Phys. Rev. E 81, 021602 (2010).
PRE link, arXiv:1001.2661
26. Modelling approaches to the dewetting of evaporating thin films of nanoparticle suspensions
U. Thiele, I. Vancea, A.J. Archer, M.J. Robbins, L. Frastia, A. Stannard, E. Pauliac-Vaujour, C.P. Martin, M.O. Blunt and P.J. Moriarty, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 21, 264016 (2009).
JPCM link, arXiv:1001.2669
23. Theory for the phase behaviour of a colloidal fluid with competing interactions
A. J. Archer, C. Ionescu, D. Pini and L. Reatto, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 20, 415106 (2008).
JPCM link, arXiv:0808.4036
22. Two-dimensional fluid with competing interactions exhibiting microphase separation: theory for bulk and interfacial properties
A.J. Archer, Phys. Rev. E 78, 031402 (2008).
PRE link, arXiv:0808.4048
13. Dynamical density functional theory: phase separation in a cavity and the influence of symmetry
A.J. Archer, J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 17, S3253 (2005) - Procedings of 6th LMC.
JPCM link, cond-mat/0509135
10. Solvent mediated interactions close to fluid-fluid phase separation: microscopic treatment of bridging in a soft core fluid
A.J. Archer, R. Evans, R. Roth and M. Oettel, J. Chem. Phys. 122, 084513 (2005).
JCP link, cond-mat/0411557
8. Dynamical density functional theory for interacting Brownian particles: stochastic or deterministic?
A.J. Archer and M. Rauscher, J.Phys. A: Math. Gen. 37, 9325 (2004).
JPhysA link, cond-mat/0405603
6. Soft core binary fluid exhibiting a lambda-line and freezing to a highly delocalised crystal
A.J. Archer, C.N. Likos and R. Evans, J.Phys.: Cond. Matter 16, L297 (2004).
PhD Thesis: Statistical Mechanics of Soft Core fluid Mixtures
A.J. Archer, PhD thesis, University of Bristol (2003).
5. Solvent-mediated interactions and solvation close to fluid-fluid phase separation: A density functional treatment
A.J. Archer and R. Evans, J. Chem. Phys. 118, 9726 (2003).
4. Binary star-polymer solutions: bulk and interfacial properties
A.J. Archer, C.N. Likos and R. Evans, J.Phys.: Cond. Matter 14, 12031 (2002).
2. Wetting in the Binary Gaussian Core Model
A.J. Archer and R. Evans, J.Phys.: Cond. Matter 14, 1131 (2002).
1. The Binary Gaussian Core Model: Fluid-Fluid Phase Separation and Interfacial Properties
A.J. Archer and R. Evans, Phys. Rev. E 64, 041501 (2001).
Last updated: 11 Jan 2021
I am responsible for the modules:
- MAP111 - Mathematical Modelling 1 (50%)
- MAP211 - Mathematical Modelling 2 (50%)
- MAC249 - Linear Differential Equations
- MAC200 - Mathematics Report
I am the Maths REF preparation lead.