Terms of Reference
(Note – In these terms of reference senior staff refers to professorial or equivalent staff paid on Grade 9)
- To oversee and govern the pay of senior staff within the University, ensuring issues such as equality and external market forces are monitored and addressed appropriately.
- To moderate the PDR outcomes for the University’s Executive Team ensuring that performance is assessed fairly and with due regard to matters such as good governance, compliance and risk.
- To determine the procedures, criteria and scale of rewards to be used in the annual review of the remuneration of senior staff.
- To conduct an annual review of, and approve appropriate changes to, the remuneration of the Vice-Chancellor. The Vice-Chancellor shall be absent from the Committee for this review.
- To conduct an annual review of, and approve appropriate changes to, the remuneration of the members of the Vice-Chancellor’s executive team and other senior managers, considering the advice of the Vice-Chancellor; market pay rates; performance, including risk and compliance standards.
- To receive recommendations from the Senior Staff Review Group for awards for staff under its purview.
- To recommend strategies to Council to reduce the gender and ethnicity pay gaps.
- As appropriate, to examine in more detail, recommendations made by the Review Group for awards to staff earning in excess of the figure required for enumeration in the University accounts.
- To note any increases in salaries for senior staff agreed, with delegated authority, by the Vice-Chancellor and the Senior Pro-Chancellor outside of the review meetings in order to retain staff.
- To note the salaries agreed, with delegated authority, by the Vice-Chancellor or Provost & Deputy Vice-Chancellor for newly recruited senior staff and to staff awarded Personal Chairs.
- To keep under review the levels of honoraria paid to various office holders.