Doctoral College Sub-Committee
Terms of Reference
Recruitment and Studentship Allocation
- To recommend to Operations Committee the allocation of internal funding for research studentships and to approve the distribution of UKRI and other relevant external funding consistent with supporting University Strategy aspirations.
- To keep under review the criteria and procedures for the admission of Doctoral Researchers with a view to ensuring recruitment of students of the highest quality.
- To approve and monitor the delivery of a recruitment strategy for Doctoral Researchers including review of the effectiveness of Doctoral Researcher recruitment initiatives and the use of studentship funding.
- To monitor the annual PGR intake data against the targets by Operations Committee and identify any immediate actions to sustain the population.
Assurance of Quality and Standards
- To govern enhancement of the quality of the Loughborough University postgraduate research (PGR) experience including:
- Approval, promotion and ongoing development of the University’s quality assurance mechanisms for research degree programmes.
- Monitoring of the implementation of the quality assurance mechanisms, in particular through consideration of the reports of reviews of research degree programmes and ensuring delivery of appropriate follow-up actions.
- To keep under review the University’s regulations and policy in relation to research degrees, including arrangements for supervision, attendance, progression and examination, benchmarking against good practice nationally and where appropriate, internationally, and recommending any changes to Research & Innovation Committee and Senate.
- To scrutinise and make recommendations on the development of new PGR programme provision, and recommend amendments to existing programme provision.
- To develop, promote, extend and mandate good practice in the management of research degree programmes, including CDTs, across the University with a view to ensuring consistent practice across Schools.
- To consider reports on the management of externally funded research degree programmes e.g. CDTs and co-ordinate external review exercises such as mid-term reviews.
- To govern the development and promotion of good practice in and the availability of transferable skills and enterprise training of PGR students across the University and to encourage opportunities for the sharing of research skills training.
- To monitor research degree submission and completion rates.
- To receive reports from a range of Professional Services in relation to the services provided to Doctoral Researchers.
- To report to and make recommendations to Research Committee in relation to the matters above and to consider any issues referred to it by Research & Innovation Committee.