Why I chose WEDC, Loughborough University to study for my master's degree
Water and Environmental Management MSc
- Entry requirements: 2:2 (or above)
- Year of entry: 2017
- Full-time: 1 year
- Location: Loughborough
- Part-time: Not available
- School: Civil and Building Engineering
This programme is for you if you are a scientist or a professional intent on improving the delivery of water and environmental services in low- and middle-income countries.
Modules are taught by experts in a broad range of disciplines who have considerable experience of working in low- and middle- income countries. Classes include a mix of nationalities and past experiences, providing both a stimulating learning experience and a valuable future network.
You will develop your knowledge, expertise and skills in many aspects of water, sanitation and environmental management. The programme is accredited by the Charatered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM), and students registered for this programme are eligible for free student membership of CIWEM. The Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) have accredited this MSc degree as meeting the requirements for 'Further Learning'.
- Research-led teaching from international experts. 75% of the School’s research was rated as world-leading or internationally excellent in the latest Government Research Excellence Framework.
- An outstanding place to study. The School of Civil and Building Engineering is ranked in the UK top 10 in the Guardian Good University Guide
- Excellent graduate prospects. Many of our graduates are employed by relief and development agencies.
- Professionally accredited. The Chartered Institution of Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) have accredited this programme. Students registered for this programme are eligible for free student membership of CIWEM. The Joint Board of Moderators (JBM) has also accredited all WEDC MSc degrees as meeting requirements for Further Learning.
All masters students have access to our excellent laboratory facilities which include equipment for field sampling and analysis of water and wastewater, and some of the largest hydraulics equipment in the UK. There are three dedicated water laboratory staff available to help you use our equipment who are specialists in pollutant analysis, hydraulics and running continuous trials.
Practical training includes:
- Hand-pump maintenance using the largest single site collection of hand-pumps;
- latrine slab construction;
- flow measurements; and
- water quality sampling and analysis.
Field visits are made to relevant UK facilities.
WEDC has a unique sector Resource Centre with a dedicated and skilled information officer. Over 19,000 items can be searched on a customized database allowing ready access to this collection of books, series, country files, student projects, videos, journals, maps, and manufacturers' catalogues.
The Resource Centre also provides a dedicated quiet study space for WEDC students. Many items, including all WEDC publications and over 2500 papers presented at 37 WEDC International Conferences, are available in the open access sector knowledge base.
An honours degree (2:2 or above) or equivalent overseas qualification in any discipline. Successful completion of the Postgraduate Certificate stage (i.e. the first four modules of this MSc programme) may be considered as an alternative qualification.
Overseas qualification equivalencies can be found here.
All applicants for admission to Loughborough University must have a qualification in English Language before they can be admitted to any course or programme, whether their first language is English or not. Find out more here.
You will be assessed by a combination of examination, coursework and class presentations as well as a dissertation on an agreed topic.
Take a look at our modules to see what assessments you can expect to undertake.
Many graduates occupy senior sector positions and work for international NGOs (MSF, Oxfam, ACF, GOAL, WaterAid, etc.) and agencies (such as UNICEF), or national governments. Graduate job titles include Technical Manager, Programme Engineer, Water and Sanitation Consultant, Project Manager, Environmental Health Officer and WASH Coordinator.