Anthony Kevins joined Loughborough as Lecturer in Politics and International Studies in September 2019.
Prior to joining the School, Anthony was a Marie Curie Research Fellow at Utrecht University’s School of Governance, where he worked with Barbara Vis. He also held a 3-year Assistant Professorship in the Department of Political Science at Aarhus University, where he was affiliated with a research project on Universalism and the Welfare State. His PhD (2014) is from McGill University’s Department of Political Science, where he was supervised by Stuart Soroka.
Anthony’s research investigates the interplay between public opinion and policy, with a particular focus on marginalised groups and the welfare state. Some of the questions he’s explored include: What factors shape the relationship between societal insiders and outsiders? How can we best understand social policy preferences? And what drives welfare state reform?
- Carsten Jensen and Anthony Kevins. (2019) “Numbers and Attitudes Towards Welfare State Generosity”, Political Studies, 67(2): 496–516. doi.org/10.1177/0032321718780516
- Anthony Kevins and Kees van Kersbergen. (2019) “The Effects of Welfare State Universalism on Migrant Integration”, Policy & Politics, 47(1): 115-132. doi.org/10.1332/030557318X15407315707251
- Anthony Kevins, Alexander Horn, Carsten Jensen, and Kees van Kersbergen. (2019) “The Illusion of Class in Welfare State Politics?”, Journal of Social Policy, 48(1): 21-41. dx.doi.org/10.1017/S0047279418000247
- Anthony Kevins, Alexander Horn, Carsten Jensen, and Kees van Kersbergen. (2018) “Yardsticks of Inequality: Preferences for Redistribution in Advanced Democracies”, Journal of European Social Policy, 28(4): 402-418. doi.org/10.1177/0958928717753579
- Alexander Horn and Anthony Kevins. (2018) “Problem Pressure and Social Policy Innovation: Lessons from 19th-Century Germany”, Social Science History, 42(3): 495-515. doi.org/10.1017/ssh.2018.13
- Anthony Kevins and Stuart Soroka. (2018) “Growing Apart? Partisan Sorting in Canada, 1992-2015”, Canadian Journal of Political Science, 51(1): 103-133. doi.org/10.1017/S0008423917000713
- Alexander Horn, Anthony Kevins, Carsten Jensen, and Kees van Kersbergen. (2017) “Peeping at the Corpus – What is Really Going on Behind the Equality and Welfare Items of the Manifesto Project?”, Journal of European Social Policy, 27(5): 403-416. doi.org/10.1177/0958928716688263
- Stuart Soroka, Richard Johnston, Anthony Kevins, Keith Banting, and Will Kymlicka. (2016) “Migration and Welfare State Spending”, European Political Science Review, 8(2): 173-194. doi.org/10.1017/S1755773915000041