Up to 20 scholarships will be available for students starting PhD studies from October 2020. Full tuition fee scholarships will be awarded on a competitive basis to students who are in receipt of China Scholarship Council (CSC) funding.
You can apply for any academic discipline at Loughborough.
- you must be applying to start a new full-time PhD in October 2020
- you must be a Chinese national and ordinarily resident in mainland China
- self-funding Chinese students, who are either in their final year of master's study or in their first year of PhD study in the UK are also eligible
- you should intend to return to China following completion of PhD studies at Loughborough
- you will need to meet the university’s academic and English language requirements for PhD study
- you will need to meet any other requirements set by the CSC on their website
Value and duration
CSC provides a living allowance and covers air fare to/from the UK and UK visa application fees.
Loughborough will cover 100% of the tuition fees for the standard duration of PhD studies (normally 36 months but up to a maximum of 48 months including an extension period if required).
- you need to apply for a PhD at Loughborough University (in the funding section of the application form you need to advise that you are applying for an advertised studentship and add the code ‘CSC 20’).
- we will assess the applications received and successful candidates will receive a letter with their offer to study at Loughborough
- you also need to apply to the China Scholarship Council online
- if you are already in the UK, you must submit your online CSC application as well as a hard copy of completed application documents to the Education Section of the Chinese Embassy in the UK before the set deadline. More information will be released via its official webpage
To allow sufficient time to process your PhD application, please ensure you submit your PhD application to Loughborough University by 31 January 2020. In order to apply for the CSC scholarship you will require an unconditional offer from Loughborough University.
If you receive an unconditional offer and CSC letter from us you then need to apply for the CSC scholarship through the CSC website. You should apply for the 'general' PhD funding. Please note that there will be a deadline to apply for CSC funding and therefore you are advised to check the CSC website.
Current Loughborough Students
Chinese nationals who are currently self-funding their studies at Loughborough may be eligible to apply for CSC funding during their first year of study. If you intend to apply for CSC funding and wish to be considered for a tuition fee waiver from Loughborough, please contact the PGR administrator in your school by 31 January 2020.