Advanced Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) for Short-Term (Visiting) and Exchange Students

Who needs to apply for an ATAS certificate?

You do not need an ATAS certificate if:

  • You are a UK, EEA or Swiss or other exempt national or you hold Indefinite Leave to Enter/Remain in the UK
  • You are applying to study in a School which is not listed above.

You will need an ATAS certificate if:

  • You require a Student, Short-Term Student or Tier 1, 2 or 5 visa to undertake a short course or exchange programme, or
  • You are studying a programme by Distance Learning which requires you to be in attendance at the University for one or more modules, and
  • You will be studying in one of the following Schools or Departments:
    • Department of Chemical Engineering - CAH3 code: CAH10-01-09
    • Department of Materials - CAH3 code: CAH10-02-02
    • Department of Physics - CAH3 code: CAH07-01-01

If you are studying in the Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering, ATAS may be required.  Contact the Admissions Office for further information.