Student Ambassadors

Resources and FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to be an Ambassador?

All the details you need are on the Get Involved page. Please note the online application will be open from 6th to 20th October 2019 and we do not expect to recruit again until the next academic year.

How much will I be paid?

The current hourly rate of pay is £9.99 in total. This is inclusive of statutory holiday pay. 

This payment is in line with Grade 1 Spinal Point 2 on the University pay scale which you can access via the website here. 

How do I get paid?

For each academic year, students must fill in their details online (through a link that will be provided to you by the Student Ambassador Coordinator upon employment). After this, the University staff who employ will submit a timesheet for every event you work on and collate these hours for payment. You will recieve payment on the last working day of each month straight into your bank account. 


How do I cancel an event I am booked to work at?

Please contact the Student Ambassador Coordinator directly or the general Ambassadors email address: The staff who booked you will have to find a replacement so it is very important that you give us as much notice as possible. The Code of Conduct asks for at least 48 hours’ notice.  Please note that under our Disciplinary Policy, the following actions can result in a ‘strike’ against you, and after 3 strikes, you will not be asked to work again:

  1. Cancelling work without good notice or reason (such as illness / emergency)
  2. Cancelling work with less than 48 hours’ notice and failing to telephone the office to give notice.
  3. Failing to arrive for work with no previous notice or explanation



Do I need a National Insurance number?

Students can be paid without a NI number. However, we do recommend that if you will be doing work frequently for the University you should apply for a NI number, as this will save you tax payments.  Individuals should apply for a NI number by telephoning 0345 600 0643. They can only apply once they are in the UK and they must have a right to work or study in the UK to apply for an NI number. We are happy to provide a letter to verify your employment when applying for a National Insurance number, see reference FAQ below for details of who to approach.

I am leaving the University / Ambassador scheme. How do I get my P45?

To request a P45, individuals can email the payroll team at to say that they are leaving and that they need a P45.

I have a question about how I have been taxed on my ambassador pay.

Please contact the Payroll Department for help if you have a question about how you are taxed, e.g. you think you have been taxed incorrectly or are returning to work and have a P45 to share with us.

Email the Payroll Department on

I need a reference, can I ask you for one?

We are happy to provide a reference directly to a prospective employer or to verify your employment if you are applying for a National Insurance number. 

Please give us a few days’ notice, and ideally provide a little information about the job role, such as a link to the job description.

You may share the following details with prospective employers: 

Student Ambassador Coordinator: 01509 222486 

School and College Liaison team, Loughborough University, Leicestershire LE11 3TU 

We will usually supply a general reference which describes the work of a student ambassador, and verifies the dates you have worked.  

If you are seeking an academic reference for further studies, we cannot provide this as we do not have any insight into your academic work.