Working with a Reader
A Reader will support you by reading your exam paper. An invigilator will also be present in the exam venue along with the Reader.
What can I expect?
The Reader will:
- Have a copy of your exam paper
- Do a literal reading of all or any part of the examination paper, as many times as you request. This includes any formulae sheet or additional materials students are permitted to take into the examination
- Read back all or any part of your answers upon request
- Explain, clarify, or interpret any of the paper. The Reader may only read word for word from the paper or from your answers.
- Prompt you to move onto the next question or help the student to choose which question to answer
- Explain abbreviations and symbols. Readers may read out symbols or abbreviations but may need to be given guidance as to whether a student should be expected to understand the symbol / abbreviation as a part of the examination question.
- Read out whole equations, but instead will make a statement telling them to refer to it themselves.
What to do next?
If they are not as you are expecting, please contact us by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phoning on 01509 222765 with the stated deadlines in mind.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know what adjustments I’ve already got in place at University?
Visit your self-service page here and view the ‘disability’ tab
Will adjustments stay in place for the duration of my studies?
Yes, they will. This includes upon your return from any placement or LOA etc.
I haven’t used a Reader before, can I arrange a trial?
Yes, we would encourage you to do this by emailing email@example.com
What paperwork do you need from me to arrange exam support?
For more information please view our SWAI Evidence Policy
I had a Reader for School exams, will I automatically get this for my University exams?
No, you need to register with SWAI and be reassessed
I think I might need a reader for my exams, what should I do?
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or Studentwellbeing@lboro.ac.uk to request the adjustment you require. One of our advisers will review your request.
Last Updated: 24th August 2022