Working with a Calculator Operator
A calculator operator will support you by inputting data on a calculator upon your instruction. An invigilator will be present in the exam venue along with the Calculator Operator
What can I expect?
The Calculator Operator will:
- Have a copy of the exam paper
- Input calculations exactly as you dictate them
- Read back the answers that are calculated
- Explain or clarify any part of the examination paper
- Explain abbreviations and symbols
- Prompt you to move onto the next question or help the student to choose which question to answer
- Read any of the exam paper, unless they are working as both Reader and Calculator Operator
- Continue operating the calculator once the examination has finished.
What to do next?
Please visit the Student Self Service Portal (link out) to check your exam support is what you are expecting.If they are not as you are expecting, please email email@example.com or phone 01509 222765.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know what adjustments I’ve already got in place at University?
Visit your self-service page here and view the ‘disability’ tab
Will adjustments stay in place for the duration of my studies?
Yes, they will. This includes upon your return from any placement or LOA etc
I haven’t used a Prompter before, can I arrange a trial?
Yes, we would encourage you to do this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
What paperwork do you need from me to arrange exam support?
For more information please view our SWAI Evidence Policy
I had a Calculator Operator for School exams, will I automatically get this for my University exams?
No, you need to register with SWAI and be reassessed.
I think I might need a Calculator Operator for my exams, what should I do?
Please contact email@example.com or Studentwellbeing@lboro.ac.uk to request the adjustment you require. One of our advisers will review your request.
Last Updated: 15th August 2022