Long-term Health Condition

A long-term health condition is one that has, or can be expected to have, a prognosis of 12 months or more.

Support is available from the University if you do have a long-term health condition, so if you need support in managing your studies alongside your health make sure to contact us. 

Some examples of long-term conditions we support are:

    • Arthritis
    • Asthma
    • Diabetes
    • Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    • Crohn’s disease

How we can the University support you?

Before you start your studies we can:

  • Meet with you to discuss your individual circumstances. You are welcome to bring family or a friend to this meeting
  • Provide advice on Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)
  • Help to secure suitable University accommodation
  • work with your local social services department and/or occupational therapist if required  
  • Advise on the medical evidence you will need to provide to access support.

Depending on an assessment of your specific needs, either by a DSA assessor or a disability advisor, support could include:

    • Providing advice on applying for and accessing your DSA
    • Liaising with your department about reasonable adjustments to course delivery to meet your individual needs
    • Arranging for extended library loans
    • Arranging for awareness training to your department
    • Examination and assessment adjustments
    • Arranging a 1-1 library induction
    • Provision of mentoring or study support skills
    • Access to some assistive software on the University IT system
    • Adaptations to the physical environment or provision of equipment to meet your individual needs.

What to do next?

If you are an Applicant:

Regardless of whether you use the disability box in your application, or mention your circumstances in your personal statement, you should use the Disability and Health Portal to share further information with us.

This will give us the opportunity to assess your requirements and arrange support as necessary in time for your studies to start. 

Please upload your diagnostic paperwork in line with the University evidence policy.

If you are a Current Student:

Current students should contact us directly, you can do this via our accessing support page.

Frequently Asked Questions

I'm not sure whether my health condition allows me to access support?

If your health condition has a diagnosis, or prognosis, of 12 months or more, then please do get in touch with us via phone (01509 222770) or via email  studentinclusion@lboro.ac.uk

If you are experiencing an injury, or a short term illness, support is available instead here via the Student Wellbeing Teams. Please complete our online wellbeing referral form.

If you are in any doubt, please contact us and we can discuss it with you, signposting to other services if required.

How accessible are the buildings, such as lecture halls, the library etc, across campus?

Physical access to buildings on campus can vary, depending on the age and design of the facility and its location on the campus. We recommend you discuss your access requirements with a Disability Advisor as soon as possible. 

What sporting opportunities are there for students with long term health conditions?

Take a look at the following pages for further information:

I have a new diagnosis, how can I access support at University for my studies?

Please contact us via our accessing support page and an Advisor will be in touch discuss your diagnosis and support available to you.  

How do I know if I have support already in place at university for me?

You can check all your approved support here via the disability tab in your self-service portal.

I require changes made to my university hall accommodation to meet my physical needs, what should I do?

If you are an applicant, please complete the Disability and Health Portal and upload your diagnostic paperwork in line with the University evidence policy

If you are a current student, please contact us at studentinclusion@lboro.ac.uk

Please see our answers to frequently asked questions related to specific accommodation requirements.

Last Updated: 1st December 2023