Please find below a summary of a selection of our past events. If you attended an event that is not showing below and are wanting to find out more information on resources or presenters, please contact us.
The Enhanced Academic Practice team is delighted to announce the return of the ‘Spotlight on...’ series.
This popular initiative aims to:
- Showcase excellent teaching practice at the University
- Inspire others to become innovative in their teaching practice
- Enhance the learning experiences of our students
- Build a thriving and dynamic learning and teaching community.
Get excited! Upcoming events:
- ‘Spotlight on…A distinctive inclusive Loughborough experience’ (6th April, 12:30-1:30pm). Presenters, titles, and how to book will be revealed very soon!
- ‘Spotlight on… The student voice’ (date and time, tbc): Hear first-hand from some of our taught students about some of their memorable moments of learning and what, to them, makes feedback effective.
Past ‘Spotlight on…’ events:
The first theme of this year’s ‘Spotlight on…’ event series focused on ‘Effective Assessment and Feedback Practices’, and there were two sessions available for all staff and doctoral researchers who are involved in teaching (directly or indirectly) to attend.
The first session took place on 19 January and was a compilation of reflective presentations provided by academic colleagues from across the University followed by a Q&A panel discussion.
- ‘Forming, storming, norming and performing - supporting team projects in higher education’ - Dr Ella-Mae Hubbard (Wolfson School of Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering)
- ‘Challenging the tradition: Tailoring assessment and feedback practice to enhance student learning’ - Dr Tanja Radu (School of Architecture, Building and Civil Engineering)
- ‘Flipping assessment to achieve inclusivity’ - Dr Chris Parker (School of Design and Creative Arts)
Watch the recording here.
The second session on 2 February was a bespoke workshop delivered by Dr Christof Leicht from the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences. ‘Providing individualised exam feedback with little extra effort’ explained how to use an electronic tool called ‘Individual assessment feedback (INDAF)’, which Christof developed to enhance the quality and efficiency of student assessment and feedback.
More specifically, Christof showed attendees how INDAF can be used for any assessment in which questions can be grouped into subcategories (for example, short answer question type assessments, multiple-choice assessments, as well as essay-based assessments). Christof showed attendees how INDAF can create individual feedback for each student, providing them with an in-depth PDF report that includes the overall grade but also the performance in each defined subcategory, flagging excellent performance as well as areas for development within the assessment.
Watch the recording here.
Want to share your practice at future ‘Spotlight on…’ sessions?
If ‘yes’, fantastic! Colleagues at both campuses can express interest in presenting by completing this short Microsoft Form which will be checked periodically. We are particularly keen for topics to focus on the following areas of learning and teaching practice:
- Memorable moments of learning
- Outstanding research-informed teaching
- Graduates with the right skills for fulfilling a future career
- A Distinctive inclusive Loughborough experience
- A unique combination of in-person and online opportunities
- Effective assessment and feedback
For further information about ‘Spotlight on…’ please contact the event organiser, Dr Katryna Kalawsky (Enhanced Academic Practice – Organisation Development).
Annual Learning and Teaching Conferences
Organisational Development and the University Events Team organises an annual Loughborough University Learning and Teaching Conference. The aim of the conference is to provide a platform for sharing innovative teaching practice across the University, and every year there are specific themes that connect to all workshops and presentations within the conference.
Previous years will be added shortly.