Centre for Geometry and Applicatons
Geometry lies at the heart of modern science. It unifies diverse branches of mathematics such as algebra, analysis and number theory, and connects to applications in theoretical physics, computer science, statistics, and more.
Loughborough University has a strong tradition of research in Geometry and related areas. The new Centre for Geometry and Applications will build on this through an extensive programme of activities: international conferences, world-leading academic visitors, and new links with industrial partners utilising applications of geometry.
Algebraic Geometry: Higher dimensional birational geometry; Positivity; Fano varieties; K3 surfaces and Calabi-Yau threefolds; Toric geometry; Secant varieties
Differential Geometry: Projective geometry; Lie sphere geometry; Web geometry; Generalised conformal geometry; Submanifold geometry; Special holonomy
Integrable systems: Hamiltonian and non-holonomic mechanics; Lagrangian fibrations; Soliton equations; Symmetry methods; Dispersionless integrability; Hamiltonian formalism; Algebraic reduction method; Frobenius manifolds; Discrete and quantum integrable systems; Special functions; Algebro-geometric approach to integrability
- Members and associate members
- Postdocs and research students
- Selected recent publications
- Seminars and events
- Dr Hamid Ahmadinezhad (Deputy Director)
- Dr Alexey Bolsinov
- Dr Jonathan Eckhardt
- Prof Jenya Ferapontov (Director)
- Prof Sara Lombardo
- Dr Vladimir Novikov
- Dr Elisa Postinghel
- Dr Artie Prendergast-Smith
- Dr Ana Salagean
- Dr Alan Thompson
- Prof Alexander Veselov
- Dr Matteo Casati
Current research students
- Jinrong Bao
- Sobhi Berjawi
- David Dowell
- Tim Grange
- Tiago Guerreiro
- Ronan Kerr
- Laura Mallinson
- Erik Paemurru
- Norbert Pintye
- Luis Santana-Sanchez
- Yiru Ye
- Guangxiu Zhao
- Katie Spalding (2018): Growth and integrability in multivalued dynamics (supervisor A. Veselov)
- Jonathan Moss (2016): Linear degeneracy in multidimensions (supervisor E. Ferapontov)
- Andrea Savoldi (2016): On Poisson structures of hydrodynamic type and their deformations (supervisors E. Ferapontov and P. Lorenzoni)
- William Haese-Hill (2015): Spectral properties of integrable Schroedinger operators with singular potentials (supervisors M. Hallnas and A. Veselov)
- Ilia Roustemoglou (2015): Classification of integrable differential/difference equations in 2+1 dimensions (supervisors E. Ferapontov and V. Novikov)
- Veronika Schreiber (2014): Special vector configurations in geometry and integrable systems (supervisor A. Veselov);
- Dragomir Tsonev (2013): Realisation of holonomy algebras on pseudo-Riemannian manifolds by means of Manakov operators (supervisor A. Bolsinov)
- Graham Kemp (2013): Algebra and geometry of Dirac magnetic monopole (supervisor A. Veselov)
- Adrian Hemery (2012): The spectral properties and singularities of monodromy-free Schrodinger operators (supervisor A Veselov);
- Nikola Stoilov (2012): Hamiltonian systems of hydrodynamic type in 2+1 dimensions (supervisor E. Ferapontov)
- Pumei Zhang (2012): Algebraic aspects of compatible Poisson structures (supervisor A. Bolsinov)
- Anton Izosimov (2012): Singularities of bihamiltonian systems and the multidimensional rigid body (supervisor A. Bolsinov)
- Pavel Burovskiy (2009): On the integrability of three-dimensional second order quasilinear PDEs (supervisors E. Ferapontov and A. Veselov)
- Lenos Hadjikos (2009): Integrable equations of the dispersionless Hirota type (supervisors E. Ferapontov and K. Khusnutdinova)
- David Marshall (2008): Differential-geometric approach to the integrability of hydrodynamic chains (supervisors E. Ferapontov and K. Khusnutdinova)
- H. Ahmadinezhad, T. Okada, Stable rationality of higher dimensional conic bundles. Épijournal Geom. Algébrique 2 (2018), Art. 5, 13 pp.
- H. Ahmadinezhad, I. Cheltsov, J. Schicho, On a conjecture of Tian. Mathematische Zeitschrift 288 (2018), no. 1-2, 217–241.
- H. Ahmadinezhad, T. Okada, Birationally rigid pfaffian Fano 3-folds, Algebraic Geometry , (2018) Volume 5, Issue 2, 160-199.
- B Doubrov, E. Ferapontov, B. Kruglikov, V. Novikov, On integrability in Grassmann geometries: integrable systems associated with fourfolds in Gr(3, 5). Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. 3 (2018), 1-32.
- B Doubrov, E. Ferapontov, B. Kruglikov, V. Novikov, Integrable systems in 4D associated with sixfolds in Gr(3, 5). Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN (2018), DOI:10.1093/imrn/rnx308.
- H. Ahmadinezhad, On pliability of del Pezzo fibrations and Cox rings. J. Reine Angew. Math. 723 (2017) 101-125.
- A. Bolsinov, Some remarks about Mishchenko-Fomenko subalgebras. J. Algebra 483 (2017), 58-70.
- J. Eckhardt, The Inverse Spectral Transform for the Conservative Camassa–Holm Flow with Decaying Initial Data, Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis 224(1) (2017), 21-52.
- J. Eckhardt, A. Kostenko, Quadratic operator pencils associated with the conservative Camassa-Holm flow, Bulletin de la Société mathématique de France, 145(1) (2017), 47-95.
- J. Eckhardt, F. Gesztesy, H. Holden, A. Kostenko, G. Teschl, Real-Valued Algebro-Geometric Solutions of the Two-Component Camassa–Holm Hierarchy, Annales de l’institut Fourier, 67(3) (2017), 1185-1230.
- V. Knibbeler, S. Lombardo, J.A. Sanders, Higher-dimensional automorphic Lie algebras. Found. Comput. Math. 17 (2017), no. 4, 987-1035.
- A. Hone, V. Novikov, J.P. Wang, Two-component generalizations of the Camassa-Holm equation. Nonlinearity 30 (2017), no. 2, 622-658.
- O. Dumitrescu, E. Postinghel, Vanishing theorems for linearly obstructed divisors. J. Algebra 477 (2017), 312-359.
- A. Prendergast-Smith, A special Cayley octad, Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. (2017).
- A.M. Salagean, M. Mandache-Salagean, Counting and characterising functions with `fast points’ for differential attacks. Cryptography and Communications 9 (2) (2017), 217-239.
- A. Matsuo, A. Veselov, Universal formula for the Hilbert series of minimal nilpotent orbits. Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 145 (2017), no. 12, 5123-5130.
- A. Sergeev, A. Veselov,Orbits and invariants of super Weyl groupoid. Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN (2017), no. 20, 6149-6167.
- A. Sergeev, A. Veselov, Symmetric Lie superalgebras and deformed quantum Calogero-Moser problems. Adv. Math. 304 (2017), 728-768.
- H. Ahmadinezhad, F. Zucconi, Mori dream spaces and birational rigidity of Fano 3-folds. Adv. Math. 292 (2016) 410-445.
- H. Ahmadinezhad, A.S. Kaloghiros, Non-rigid quartic 3-folds, (2016) Compositio Mathematica, 152(5) (2016) 955-983.
- J. Eckhardt, An inverse spectral problem for a star graph of Krein strings, Journal für die reine und angewandte Mathematik (Crelles Journal), 2016 (715) (2016).
- J. Eckhardt, and A. Kostenko, The inverse spectral problem for indefinite strings, Inventiones mathematicae, 204(3) (2016), 939-977.
- A.M. Salagean, R. Winter, M. Mandache-Salagean, R. Phan, Higher order differentiation over finite fields with applications to generalising the cube attack. Designs, Codes and Cryptography 84 (3) (2016) 425-449.
- A. Bolsinov, V. Matveev, T. Mettler, S. Rosemann, Four-dimensional Kahler metrics admitting c-projective vector fields. J. Math. Pures Appl. (9) 103 (2015), no. 3, 619-657.
- A. Bolsinov, V. Matveev, Local normal forms for geodesically equivalent pseudo-Riemannian metrics. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 367 (2015), no. 9, 6719-6749.
- A. Bolsinov, A. Borisov, I. Mamaev, Geometrisation of Chaplygin’s reducing multiplier theorem. Nonlinearity 28 (2015), no. 7, 2307-2318.
- J. Eckhardt, A. Kostenko, G. Teschl, Spectral asymptotics for canonical systems, Journal für die reine und angewandte Mathematik (Crelles Journal), 2018(736) (2015) , 285-315.
- E. Ferapontov, V. Novikov, I. Roustemoglou, On integrability of discrete Hirota type equations in 3D. Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN (2015), no. 13, 4933-4974.
- M. Brambilla, O. Dumitrescu, E. Postinghel, On a notion of speciality of linear systems in Pn. Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 367 (2015), no. 8, 5447-5473.
- E. Postinghel, F. Sottile, N. Villamizar, Degenerations of real irrational toric varieties. J. Lond. Math. Soc. 92 (2015), no. 2, 223-241.
- I. Coskun, A. Prendergast-Smith, Eckhard loci on hypersurfaces. Comm. Algebra 43 (2015), no. 8, 3083-3101.
- A. Sergeev, A. Veselov, Jack-Laurent symmetric functions. Proc. Lond. Math. Soc. (3) 111 (2015), no. 1, 63-92.
- K. Schobel, A. Veselov, Separation coordinates, moduli spaces and Stasheff polytopes. Comm. Math. Phys. 337 (2015), no. 3, 1255-1274.
- A. Bolsinov, D. Tsonev, On a new class of holonomy groups in pseudo-Riemannian geometry. J. Differential Geom. 97 (2014), no. 3, 377-394.
- A. Bolsinov, A. Izosimov, Singularities of bi-Hamiltonian systems. Comm. Math. Phys. 331 (2014), no. 2, 507-543.
- J. Eckhardt, A. Kostenko, An Isospectral Problem for Global Conservative Multi-Peakon Solutions of the Camassa–Holm Equation, Communications in Mathematical Physics, 329(3) (2014), 893-918.
- E. Ferapontov, B. Kruglikov, Dispersionless integrable systems in 3D and Einstein-Weyl geometry. J. Differential Geom. 97 (2014), no. 2, 215-254.
- F. Baronio, M. Conforti, A. Degasperis, S. Lombardo, M. Onorato, S. Wabnitz, Vector rogue waves and baseband modulation instability in the defocusing regime. Phys. Rev. Lett. 113 (3) (2014), 034101.
- I. Coskun, A. Prendergast-Smith, Fano manifolds of index n-1 and the cone conjecture. Int. Math. Res. Not. IMRN (2014), no. 9, 2401-2439.
- EPSRC EP/S004130/1: Dr Postinghel (PI), £203,354
- EPSRC EP/N031369/1: Prof Ferapontov (PI), £280,335
- Heilbronn Institute focused research grant: Dr Ahmadinezhad £5,485
- Russian Science Foundation Grant: Dr Bolsinov, £250,000.
- GRAnD mini-CDT: Dr Ahmadinezhad (PI)
- IAS semester theme on Geometry: Dr Ahmadinezhad (PI) £25,000.
Past Funding (since September 2017)
- INdAM Marie Curie Fellow Dr Casati, 2016-2018: £9,000
- LMS Regional Meetings and Workshop: Prof Veselov £5,000
- LMS scheme 2 grant for Prof Vitolo: Prof Ferapontov £970
- Institute of Advanced Studies (IAS) grant for Prof Vitolo: Prof Ferapontov £750
- Royal Society mobility grant: Dr Salagean, £6,000
- Geometry and Mathematical Physics
- East Midlands Seminar in Geometry Applied Geometry
- COW algebraic geometry seminar
- PhD students seminar
Events coordinated by the Centre
- Geometry and Mathematical Physics workshop, 17-30 March, 2019
- Algebraic Geometry Weekend Workshop, 15-16 March, 2019
- Algebraic Geometry in Combinatorics, 21-25 January, 2019
- Workshop on Fano varieties and their automorphisms, 30 October - 2 November 2018
- Applied and Comptational Geometry, 12-14 September 2018
- Integrable Dynamics, parallel session of the international conference Dynamics Days Europe, 3-7 September 2018
- LMS Workshop: Celebrating Algebraic Geometry at Loughborough, 9-10 May 2018
- LMS Midlands Regional Meeting and Workshop Modern Geometry and Physics, 18-21 September 2017
- Annual Integrable Day at Loughborough
- Prof Alexander Odesski (Brock), June 2019
- Prof Wadim Zudilin (Nijmegen), April 2019
- Prof Alberto de Sole (Rome), April 2019
- Prof Alexander Kuznetsov (Moscow), March 2019
- Prof Gerard van der Geer (Amsterdam), March 2019
- Prof Boris Doubrov (Moscow), March 2019
- Dr Maksym Fedorchuk (Boston), January 2019
- Dr Igor Krylov (Seoul), January 2019
- Prof Raffaele Vitolo (Lecce), January 2019
- Prof Dmitri Markushevich (Lille), November 2018
- Dr Christian Urech (Imperial College), June 2018