The Department of Physics endeavours to equip its students with the knowledge and skills that are prized by employers across a range of sectors. We also offer the opportunity of a year in industry, gaining real world work experience. By doing so we create highly employable graduates.
A degree in physics can lead to many and varied career opportunities. At Loughborough we strive to develop in our students knowledge and practical abilities, including interpersonal and presentation skills, as well as advanced analytical and problem-solving abilities, that are valued in the workplace.
As such, there is no such thing as a "typical" graduate destination for our Physics graduates. Instead, we find our students go on to pursue interesting and rewarding careers within a diverse range of organisations.
Recent graduate destinations have included:
- Graduate Transport Planner (Atkins)
- Research Scientist (Atomic Weapons Establishment)
- Technical Delivery Graduate (BAE Systems)
- Data Analyst (Bet365)
- Technical Operator (Britvic)
- Automation Engineer (CGI Group)
- Graduate Electronic Engineer (DSTL)
- IT Professional (Deutsche Bank)
- Graduate Engineer (E.ON)
- Systems Operator (Hawk Eye)
- Software Developer (Home Office)
- Master Data Manager (L'Oreal)
- Laser Production Engineer (Laser Quantum)
- Environmental Test Engineer (Martin-Baker Aircraft Company)
- Defence Engineering Science Group Graduate (Ministry of Defence)
- Programme Developer (Mojo Ltd)
- Actaurial Analyst (NHBC)
- Medical Electronics Technician (NHS)
- Product Specialist (PVH Group)
- Weapons Graduate (QinetiQ)
- Nuclear Graduate (Rolls-Royce)
- Business Analyst (Triumph Motorcycles)
- Tyre Science/Strategy Analyst (Williams Formula 1)
Other graduates go on to pursue further education opportunities:
- PhD Physics (Loughborough University)
- PhD Remote Sensing (University of Surrey)
- MSc Space Risk and Disaster Reduction (University College London)
- MSc Cyber Security (Birmingham City University)
- PGCE Mathematics (Loughborough University)
Useful information about careers
As a Loughborough University student you will have access to the highly regarded skills, guidance, placement and employment support provided by our Careers Network.
Our dedicated staff will help you to:
- Develop and articulate skills, employability and the Loughborough Graduate Attributes
- Make well-informed career-decisions with the support of our advice and guidance
- Search and apply successfully for placements and work experience
- Meet employers and network effectivly to secure graduate opportunities
The Careers Network also hosts the largest university Careers Fair in the UK and hundreds of other employer events, including our School of Science placement and careers event.
For more information about how the Careers Network can help you, click here.