Juan completed his PhD in Electrical Engineering in 2017 from KAUST University, KSA, following an MSc in Theoretical Physics of Disordered Systems (2012) from Sapienza University, Italy. In 2017 he joined the Emergent Photonics (EPic) Lab at the University of Sussex as a Research Fellow in Experimental Photonics to develop complex nonlinear imaging experiments using terahertz waves and unconventional THz nonlinear sources.
In 2019 Juan secured a “Helena Normanton Fellowship” from the University of Sussex and in 2020 a Leverhulme Trust “Early Career Fellowship”. Both projects focused on the role played by complex nonlinear interactions in the formation of a special class of nonlinear waves, known as laser cavity solitons, in micro-comb systems.
In July 2022, Juan joined Loughborough University as a Senior Lecturer and a member of the Emergent Photonics Research Centre. His current research, funded by a five-year EPSRC Quantum Technologies Career Development Fellowship, focuses on the integration of data-driven control techniques for high-power micro-comb lasers, and their application for complexity-driven neuromorphic photonics systems.
- Data-driven control of experimental nonlinear photonic systems
- High-power micro-comb lasers for quantum technology applications
- Complex nonlinear wave interactions in multimode photonic systems
- Complexity-driven neuromorphic photonics
- Photonic Reservoir Computing
Funding Bodies: Reviewer for the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI).
Journals: Reviewer for the journals: Physical Review Letters, Physical Review A, Nature Communications Physics, Annalen der Physik, Proceedings of the Royal Society B, IOP Nanotechnology, IOP Journal of Optics, Europhysics Letters, Scientific Reports, OSA Optics Express, OSA Continuum, MDPI Sensors, MDPI Applied Sciences, MDPI Photonics, MDPI Symmetry. Member of the Selected Reviewing board of MDPI Photonics.
Conferences Committees: Conference committee member, “Integrated Nonlinear & Quantum Optics”, OSA Advanced Photonics (2019-2022). Reviewer for the international conference META.
Published journal articles and conference proceedings
- Rowley, Hanzard, Cutrona, Bao, Chu, Little, Morandotti, Moss, Oppo, Totero Gongora, Peccianti and Pasquazi, “Self-emergence of robust solitons in a microcavity”, under embargo, to appear (2022)
- Kumar, Cecconi, Peters, Bertolotti, Pasquazi, Totero Gongora, Peccianti, “Deterministic Terahertz wave control in scattering media”, ACS Photonics, to appear (2022)
- Cecconi, Kumar, Pasquazi, Totero Gongora, Peccianti, “Nonlinear field-control of terahertz waves in random media for spatiotemporal focusing”, Open Research Europe 2 (32), 32 (2022)
- Tunesi, Peters, Totero Gongora, Olivieri, Pasquazi, Peccianti, “Terahertz emission from ultrafast temporal metamaterials”, Phys. Rev. Research 3, L042006 (2021).
- Cutrona, Hanzard, Rowley, Totero Gongora, Peccianti, Malomed, Oppo, Pasquazi “Temporal cavity solitons in a laser-based microcomb: a path to a self-starting pulsed laser without saturable absorption”, Opt. Express, 29, 6629 (2021).
- Totero Gongora, Peters, Tunesi, Clerici, Pasquazi, Peccianti, “All-optical two-colour terahertz emission from quasi-2D nonlinear surfaces”, Phys. Rev. Lett. 125, 263901 (2020)
- Totero Gongora, Fratalocchi, “Integrated nanolasers via complex engineering of radiationless states”, J. Phys. Photonics 3, 011001 (2020).
- Totero Gongora, Olivieri, Peters, Cecconi, Cutrona, Kumar, Tucker, Pasquazi, Peccianti, “Route to intelligent imaging reconstruction via THz nonlinear ghost-imaging”, Micromachines 11(5), 521 (2020)
- Bao, Olivieri, Rowley, Chu, Little, Morandotti, Moss, Totero Gongora, Peccianti, Pasquazi, “Turing patterns in a fibre laser with a nested micro-resonator: robust and controllable micro-comb generation”, Phys. Rev. Research 2, 023395 (2020)
- Olivieri, Totero Gongora, Peters, Cecconi, Cutrona, Tunesi, Tucker, Pasquazi, Peccianti, “Hyperspectral terahertz microscopy via nonlinear ghost imaging”, Optica 7 (2), 186 (2019).
- Rowley, Di Lauro, Totero Gongora, Wetzel, Peccianti, Pasquazi, “Thermo-optical pulsing in a microresonator filtered fiber-laser: a route towards all-optical control and synchronization”. Opt. Express, OE 27, 19242–19254 (2019).
- Bao, Cooper, Rowley, Di Lauro, Totero Gongora, Little, Chu, Oppo, Morandotti, Moss, Wetzel, Peccianti, Pasquazi, “Laser cavity-soliton microcombs”. Nature Photonics 13, 384 (2019).
- Olivieri, Totero Gongora, Pasquazi, & Peccianti, “Time-resolved nonlinear ghost imaging: Route to hyperspectral single-pixel reconstruction of complex samples at THz frequencies”, Proc. of SPIE 10902, 1090219 (2020).
- Favraud, Totero Gongora, and Fratalocchi, “Evolutionary photonics for renewable energy, nanomedicine, and advanced material engineering”, Laser & Photonics Reviews, 12, 1700028 (2018, invited review)
- Olivieri, Totero Gongora, Pasquazi, Peccianti, “Time-Resolved Nonlinear Ghost Imaging”, ACS Photonics, 5 (8), 3379 (2018)
- Totero Gongora, Miroshnichenko, Kivshar , Fratalocchi, “Anapole nanolasers for mode- locking and ultrafast pulse generation”, Nature Communications 8, 15535 (2017)
- V. Mazzone, Totero Gongora and Fratalocchi, “Near-field coupling and mode-competition in multiple anapole systems”, Applied Sciences 7, 542 (2017)
- Totero Gongora, G. Favraud and Fratalocchi, “Fundamental and high-order anapoles in all-dielectric metamaterials via Fano-Feshbach modes”, Nanotechnology 28, 104001 (2017)
- Galinsky, Favraud, Dong, Totero Gongora, Favaro, Dobeli, Spolenak, Fratalocchi, Capasso, “Scalable, ultra-resistant structural colours based on network metamaterials”, Light Science and Applications 6, e16233 (2017)
- Totero Gongora, Miroshnichenko, Kivshar, Fratalocchi, “Engineering complex nanolasers: from spaser quantum information sources to near-field anapole lasers”, Proc. of SPIE 101061B (2017) - invited-
- Totero Gongora, Miroshnichenko, Kivshar, Fratalocchi, “Energy Equipartition and unidirectional emission from a spaser nanolaser”, Laser & Photonics Reviews 10, 432 (2016)
- Totero Gongora, Miroshnichenko, Kivshar, Fratalocchi, “SPASER as a complex system: femtosecond dynamics traced by ab-initio simulations”, Proceedings of SPIE 9746, 974618 (2016)
- Totero Gongora and Fratalocchi, “Optical force on diseased blood cells: Towards the optical sorting of biological matter”, Optics and Lasers in Engineering 76, 40-44 (2016, invited)
- Coluccio, Gentile, Das, Nicastri, Perri, Candeloro, Perozziello, Zaccaria, Totero Gongora, Alrasheed, Fratalocchi, Limongi, Cuda, Di Fabrizio, “Detection of single amino acid mutation in human breast cancer by disordered plasmonic self-similar chain”, Science Advances 1, e1500487 (2015)
- Trillo, Totero Gongora, Fratalocchi, “Wave instabilities in the presence of non-vanishing background in nonlinear Schroedinger systems”. Scientific Reports 4, 7285 (2014)
Research monographs and book chapters
- Totero Gongora, Fratalocchi, “Ab-initio techniques for light-matter interaction at the nanoscale”, in “Computational Chemistry Methodology in Structural Biology and Material Sciences”, Apple Academic Press- CRC Taylor & Francis (2017)
- Totero Gongora, Fratalocchi, “Harnessing Disorder at the Nanoscale”, in “Encyclopaedia of Nanotechnology”, Springer (2015)
- Peccianti, Dalton, Ogilvie, Pasquazi, Totero Gongora, Peters, Tunesi, “Terahertz-emitting-ink (THINK)”, patent pending (2020)
- Di Fabrizio, Fratalocchi, Totero Gongora, Coluccio, Candeloro, Cuda, “Analytic device including nanostructures”, Patent N. WO 2015097559 A1, App. No PCT/IB2014/003194 (2016)