About the department
Our commitment to equality and diversity
Maintaining an inclusive, diverse and supportive atmosphere is important to us in the Department of Physics. The Equality and Diversity committee for the Department of Physics oversees all aspects of diversity, including gender, ethnicty, religion, LGBT+, disability and age.
The department supports activities aimed at celebrating diversity and creating an equitable working culture in which all students and staff, men and women can achieve their full potential. The department and school also have funding available for students to attend diversity related events in Physics around the UK. Student representatives at all levels participate in the Department Equality and Diversity Committee, recruited each Autumn.
The Department of Physics has been awarded Juno Practitioner status in recognition of its work undertaken to progress the Juno principles within the Department. Project Juno is a national scheme operated by the Institute of Physics (IOP) that recognises and rewards physics departments that have taken action to address gender equality and to encourage better practice for all staff.
As part of this intiative, it monitors gender disaggregated data from undergraduate, postgraduate and department staff. As part of the department's commitment to these values we are also part of the Loughborough University School of Science Equality and Diversity Committee which is currently promoting a school wide application for an Athena SWAN Silver award.
The School of Science has an annual undergraduate bursary to support its outreach and diversity work. For information, see link below.
Equality and Diversity Committee, Physics Department
- Head of Physics Department: Alexandre Zagoskin
- Juno / Equality and Diversity Coordinator: Dirk Backes
- Admin member of staff (and minutes keeper): Yasmin Burgess
- Senior member of the department: Sergey Saveliev
- Lecturer: Anna Kusmartseva
- Research only member of staff: Peter Mason
- Technical member of staff: Glyn Spencer
- Postgraduate research student: Mumnuna Qureshi
- Postgraduate taught student: to be recruited in autumn for 2018-19
- Undergraduate student: to be recruited in autumn for 2018-19