Dr Alan Thompson
Lecturer in Algebraic Geometry
- 2018 – present: Lecturer in Algebraic Geometry, Loughborough University.
- 2017 – 2018: Postdoctoral Research Associate, University of Cambridge.
- 2016 – 2017: Visiting Fellow, University of Warwick.
- 2014 – 2016: Fields-Ontario Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Waterloo, Canada.
- Jan – Jun 2014: Fields-Ontario-PIMS Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Alberta, Canada.
- Jul – Dec 2013: Fields-Ontario Postdoctoral Fellow, Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences, Toronto, Canada
- 2011 – 2013: Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Alberta, Canada.
- 2007 – 2011: D.Phil. Mathematics, University of Oxford.
- 2003 – 2007: M.Math. University of Warwick.
Algebraic geometry, especially the geometry of surfaces and threefolds. My current research interests include: the geometry and moduli of K3 surfaces and Calabi-Yau threefolds, the explicit construction of Calabi-Yau threefolds, the study of fibration structures, mirror symmetry, and the minimal model program. A more detailed description of my current research activities may be found on my personal webpage:
- MAA240/MAA243 Analysis 2
- MAA310 Mathematics for Mechanical Engineers
- Member of the London Mathematical Society
- Member of the Institute of Mathematics and its Applications
- Member of the Canadian Mathematical Society
- Associate of the Higher Education Academy