The Environmental Ergonomics Research Centre studies the interaction of people with their physical environment. This can be an indoor or outdoor environment, a working or leisure environment. The interactions studied can range from comfort to stressful experiences.
Areas of expertise
- Climate (comfort, thermal stress and clothing)
- Vibration (whole body and hand transmitted)
- Light (physiological eye function and impact of lighting parameters)
- Equilibrium and orientation (motion sickness in real and in virtual environments)
- Protection and performance clothing research
- Healthcare ergonomics and patient safety; building design
Body Mapping for Clothing Design
Project: Providing knowledge on the body’s sweating response during exercise
Project: Redesigning Ambulances
Reducing NHS Costs and Improving Patient Care using Ergonomics to redesign ambulance vehicles and equipment
- Hignett, S., Jones, E., Miller, D., Wolf, L., Modi, C., Shahzad, MW, Banerjee, J., Buckle, P., Catchpole, K. (2015) Human Factors & Ergonomics and Quality Improvement Science: Integrating Approaches for Safety in Healthcare. BMJ Quality & Safety 24, 4, 250-254
- Havenith, G and Fiala D (2016). Thermal Indices and Thermophysiological Modeling for Heat Stress, Comprehensive Physiology, January 2015.
- Raccuglia M, Lloyd A, Filingeri D, Faulkner S, Hodder S, Havenith G. (2015) Post-warm up muscle temperature maintenance: blood flow contribution and external heating optimization European Journal of Applied Physiology, http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00421-015-3294-6 in press.
- Amano T, Gerrett N, Inoue Y, Nishiyasu T, Havenith G, Kondo N. (2015) Determination of the maximum rate of eccrine sweat glands’ ion reabsorption using the Galvanic Skin Conductance to local sweat rate relationship European Journal of Applied Physiology, in press.
- Gerrett N, Ouzzahra Y, Redortier B, Voelcker T, Havenith G. (2015) Female thermal sensitivity to hot and cold during rest and exercise Physiology and Behavior 152:11-19.
- Ke Y, Li J and Havenith G. (2015),"Local ventilation and wear response of working jackets with different fabric permeability", International Journal of Clothing Science and Technology, Vol. 27 Iss 6 pp. http://dx.doi.org/10.1108/IJCST-08-2014-0100
- Lloyd A, Hodder S, Havenith G (2015). The interaction between peripheral and central fatigue at different muscle temperatures during sustained isometric contractions. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2015 Jun 3:ajpregu.00061.2015. doi: 10.1152/ajpregu.00061.2015. [Epub ahead of print]
- Filingeri, D., & Havenith, G. (2015). Human skin wetness perception: Psychophysical and neurophysiological bases. Temperature, 2(2):86-104 oct 2015.
- Ravanelli, Nicholas M.; Simon G. Hodder, George Havenith, Ollie Jay (2015) Heart Rate and Body Temperature Responses to Extreme Heat and Humidity With and Without Electric Fans, JAMA. 2015;313(7):724-725. doi:10.1001/jama.2015.153.
- Filingeri D, D Fournet, S Hodder, G Havenith (2014) Body mapping of cutaneous wetness perception across the human torso during thermo-neutral and warm environmental exposures. Journal of Applied Physiology 117 (8), 887-897
- PARSONS, K., 2013. Occupational health impacts of climate change: current and future ISO standards for the assessment of heat stress. Industrial Health, 51 (1), pp. 86 - 100.
- Hignett, S., Carayon, P., Buckle, P., Catchpole, K. (2013) State of Science: Human Factors and Ergonomics in Health Care. Ergonomics 56, 10, 1491-1503
- Jendritzky, Gerd; Richard de Dear; George Havenith (2012)UTCI—Why another thermal index? International Journal of Biometeorology, 56 (3) 421-428.
- Smith, Caroline J. and Havenith G., Body Mapping of Sweating Patterns in Athletes: A Sex Comparison; Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise., Online First 2012;doi: 10.1249/MSS.0b013e318267b0c4
- Hignett, S. and Lu, J. (2010). Space to care and treat safely in acute hospitals: Recommendations from 1866 - 2008, Applied Ergonomics 41 (2010) 666-673.
- Hignett, S., Jones, A., Benger, J. (2010) Designing a modular work space for urgent care. Journal of Paramedic Practice, 2, 3, 116-122.
- Hignett, S., Griffiths, P. (2009), Risk Factors for Moving and Handling Obese (Bariatric) Clients, Nursing Standard, 24, 11, 40-48.
- Hignett, S., Crumpton, E., Coleman, R., (2009) Designing emergency ambulances for the 21st century Emergency Medicine Journal 26, 135-140.
- Raccuglia, M, Pistak, K, Heyde, C, Qu, J, Mao, N, Hodder, S, Havenith, G (2017) Human wetness perception of fabrics under dynamic skin contact, Textile Research Journal, ISSN: 1746-7748.
- Wilkins, E and Havenith, G (2017) External Heating Garments used Post Warm-Up Improve Upper-Body Power and Elite Sprint Swimming Performance, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers Part P: Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 231(2), pp.91-101, ISSN: 1754-338X. DOI: 10.1177/1754337116650322.
- Griggs, KE, Havenith, G, Paulson, TAW, J Price, M, Goosey-Tolfrey, VL (2017) Effects of cooling before and during simulated match play on thermoregulatory responses of athletes with tetraplegia., J Sci Med Sport, DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2017.03.010.
- Lloyd, A and Havenith, G (2016) Interactions in human performance: an individual and combined stressors approach, Temperature, 3(4), pp.514-517, Full text: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/23328940.2016.1189991. DOI: 10.1080/23328940.2016.1189991
Academic & Research staff
- Professor George Havenith - Research Group Leader
- Dr Davide Filingeri
- Dr Mike Fray
- Professor Sue Hignett
- Dr Simon Hodder
- Dr Peter Howarth - visiting Research Fellow
- Dr Alex Lloyd
- Professor Ken Parsons - Emeritus
- Professor James Goodwin - visiting Professor of Ageing Research
- Dr Will Tutton - visiting Professor of Human Factors Integration
- Dr Angie Doshani visiting Professor of Patient Safety (Obstetrics & Gyneacology)
- Josh Foster
- James Smallcombe
- Charlote Jais
- Dr Graham Hancox
PhD & MPhil students
- Anna West
- Nicole Coull
- Gemma Vaughan
- Saydia Razak
- Victor Jeganathan
- Winta Tridhatu Satwikasanti
- Charlotte Jais
- Ruby Allen
- Bernie Douglas
- Marije de Haas
- Kubra Okuyucu
- Annabel Mason
- Aikaterini Christogianni
- Kate o'Keeffe
- Josh Arnold
- Callie Merrick
- Leigh Arlequi
- Michaela Lawes
- Tommy Slater
- Polly Aylwin