International Day Of Women & Girls In Science 2024
To celebrate the International Day of Women & Girls in Science, we invite colleagues and students across the University to join us for this afternoon!
A panel of female academics from across the School will participate in a roundtable discussion on their academic journeys, and will touch on a number of topics around women’s participation in science, and their contributions.
There will be opportunities to pose questions and comments to the panel on the day.
A photo exhibition, presenting the portraits and career paths of a number of female scientists from across the University will also be on display. At the event, our University photographer will be in attendance, and there will be an opportunity for female scientists (including academic staff and PhD students) to have their photos taken to be added to the existing collection, which will be showcased on a website dedicated to Women in Science at Loughborough.
If you would like to take part in this, please contact Ben Mason (B.Mason4@lboro.ac.uk) for further information. Examples from the current portrait collection will be shared in advance of the event.
Refreshments and snacks will be provided on the day.
We welcome friends and colleagues from across the University, so to help us manage numbers if you would like to attend, please complete the registration form
- Welcome Address (Professor Claudia Eberlein – 2.30 – 2.40)
- Panel Discussion: Facilitated by Meg Cox, the panel will cover a range of topics relevant to their academic journey alongside broader areas of interest in the past, present and future of women and girls in science. 2.40 – 3.20
- Agnes Bokanyi Toth (Mathematics)
- Professor Georgina Cosma (Computer Science)
- Dr Sarah Bugby (Physics)
- Dr Pooja Goddard (Chemistry)
- Professor Lara Alcock (Mathematics Education)
- Break with tea/coffee and cakes (3.20 – 3.35)
- Audience will have an opportunity to submit any questions that they would like to hear more about after the break.
- The photo portraits taken earlier this year as part of the ‘Women In Science’ collection will be displayed, with the opportunity to take more of these photo portraits during the break – to broaden the platform for celebrating Women in Science at LU.
- A website featuring the existing photo collection can be accessed here: Women in Science | Loughborough University (lboro.ac.uk). We would like to further develop this collection so that it may be displayed in the School before being shared with colleagues across campus (potentially in Martin Hall exhibition space depending on availability).
- Teas, coffees and cakes to be provided (afternoon tea style as opposed to a formal sit-down lunch)
- This will be extended following the second part of the panel discussion.
- Panel Discussion: Facilitated by Meg Cox, the panel will continue their discussions and endeavour to cover questions raised by the audience. 3.35 – 4.05
- Presentation from Jane Hunt MP for Loughborough (4.05 – 4.15)
- Closing Address (Professor Claudia Eberlein - 4.15 - 4.20)
- Tea, coffee, cakes, networking and photo portrait opportunity (Phil Wilson – as mentioned previously) 20 – 4.50
Contact and booking details
- Ben Mason
- Email address
- Booking information
- The event is free to attend, but to help us manage numbers, please register your attendance using the booking form.